Manilow on Bacharach and David - BBC Radio 2

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Sara D

Manilow on Bacharach and David - BBC Radio 2

Post by Sara D »

According to the BBC's listing magazine the Radio Times, episode nine (of ten) of series two of 'They Write the Songs', Barry Manilow's radio show about the great American songwriters, will be dedicated to Bacharach and David and will air this Thursday evening (Feb 28) between 10pm and 11pm UK time. It will also be available on the BBC's Listen Again facility for seven days via their website once the show's gone out. As far as I Know Barry Manilow has yet to record a Bacharach and David song but on this show we'll almost certainly get to hear him warble a few of them alone at the piano. If the show dedicated to Cole Porter and broadcast a few weeks ago is anything to go by what we'll hear is famous and not so famous recordings of the hit songs interspersed with biographical info before Manilow does his stuff at the piano at the end of the show. Again going on the Cole Porter edition of the show, Manilows's presenting style is on the slightly eccentric side of hyperbolic, so expect the exclaimations to come thick and fast. Despite being a woman of a 'certain age', I can't claim to be a fan of Barry Manilow but I'm sure the show will be worth a listen.
Last edited by Sara D on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Djalma Junior

Re: Manilow on Bacharach and David - BBC Radio 2

Post by Djalma Junior »

Ms. Sara,

Leveraging this topic, it is always appropriate to say that Barry Manilow has a beautiful voice and the interpretations of "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" and "This Guys In Love With You" were very beautiful:

Best regards.
Djalma Jr
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Thanks Djalma Jr for putting me right and they're nice interpretations too.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Thanks sara for the tip off .. I'll definately be listening. I think Barry Manilow is one of the great entertainers of our time!