fun quiz

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

fun quiz

Post by Guest »

name this Burt song...clue: the lyric line goes..."by actual score..."

Post by Guest »

Ok, I'll eventually print the answer to the last post, but while you're chewing on that...here's another. Burt won a grammy (his first?) for
"best arrangement" way back in the late 60's...what was the name of the tune and from what album?
: )
Blair N. Cummings

quiz reply

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

By actual score...I Cry More

Post by Guest »

bueno, Blair!
es correcto!
: )

Post by Guest »

ok kiddies..here's another one...EXCLUDING Marlene Deitrich's
recordings...Burt once in a blue moon arranged a song on the flip side of
a 45 that he did not write..these instances are rare..
name one he did for Jane Morgan and name the composer.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I'm so ashamed of myself! You're embarrassing me terrribly! I thought I knew a lot about Burt and his career and music!!

*runs away in shame*

Post by Guest »

lol...don't feel that way..this is very "early" stuff! Way before he became known....
Blair N. Cummings

quiz

I`m going to say the Jane Morgan B-Side was What Now My Love composed by Gilbert Becaud.

Post by Guest »

Blair,
Your answer may not be wrong..I'd like to know if he arranged
What Now My Love" for Jane....Did he?
The one i was thinking of was "Ask ME To Dance"- (JAne Morgan Kapp Records)flip side of Waiting for Charlie to Come Home" It has that pre cursor horn solo answering the vocal he used for the first time..
It was later used in "What The World Needs Now" answering Jackie DeShannons first few vocal lines..
Blair N. Cummings

quiz

Since I don`t have physical copies of either, I can`t be sure. I`m going literally by the book (Bacharach Song by Song) on this. I`ll defer to your expertise.

Post by Guest »

Blair,
"Ask Me To Dance" is a definite, since I had the record..but "What Now My Love" is also a possiblity..if it is in the book that way..well then..you are not incorrect....it is yet another one of Burt's arrangements for Jane
and I credit you with your answer!
:lol:
-----------------------
Here's another one....
His first concert medley....
Burt strung 4 songs together into a medley and started playing them live in the mid 60's into the early 70's.....
They were all from his first album on Kapp...
what were they?(you need name only 3)you get extra points if you know the order they were in.
Blair N. Cummings

quiz

I`ll take a stab: Walk On By
Don`t Make Me over
Always Something There to Remind Me
Twenty-four Hours from Tulsa

Post by Guest »

Blair,
2 are correct...Don't Make Me over and 24 Hours From Tulsa
"Don't Make Me Over" was song no. 1 in the medley.
"24 Hours From Tulsa"was song no.4 and last, ending with the 2 tbns in soli...

"Walk On By" and "Always Something There" were used in his late 60's and early 70's concerts (Kapp Versions), but were played all the way through seperately.
So that is 2 down and 2 to go..

Answer to Burt's Old "KApp Medley"(Live)

Post by Guest »

Here is the answer to the Old Burt "Kapp" MEdley(LIVE) and what was played and in order to the best of my recollection:

Don't Make Me Over-Anyone Who Had A Heart-Wives And Lovers- then ending with 24 Hours From Tulsa

Each song was not played in it's entirety, and was "Bridged" with a few added transitional bars by Burt.

Post by Guest »

Regarding my previous post(Kapp Medley) -Based on the "Live in Japan" album I see I left one out "What's New Pussycat" number- I can't remember if Burt added that later...but it's possible he did.(I recall it being a vocal on the Kapp album, which was definitely not the case in concerts I remember. It is song no. 3-, before "Wives and Lovers" on this record.