Will There Be a Successor to At This Time?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Will There Be a Successor to At This Time?

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I know we`ve had the discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) regarding the last album. I know that it received a Grammy.
I also know that said Grammy was really a Lifetime Achievement Award rather than an acclamation of that album`s content.
Are there any whispers in Bacharach-land of another (final?) orchestral studio album ?
mohsin123

Re: Will There Be a Successor to At This Time?

Post by mohsin123 »

I know we`ve had the discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) regarding the last album. I know that it received a Grammy.
I also know that said Grammy was really a Lifetime Achievement Award rather than an acclamation of that album`s content.
Are there any whispers in Bacharach-land of another (final?) orchestral studio album ?
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Blair:
I'm not aware of any leaks from "Bacharach-land" regarding another orchestral studio album; however, there is a lot of material composed back in the 70's and later that would be perfectly suitable for such a project. For starters - think of the great potential orchestral arrangements Burt could put together with a couple of recently released Warwick tracks from the 70's: "And Then you Know What He Did" and "Plastic City" …….. Also some of the tracks on Carole Bayer Sager's album "Sometimes Late At Night" and some great BB songs recorded by Aretha, Patti LaBelle, Jackie DeShannon and others. …… Biggest challenge would be successfully marketing the product.
Ron
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Blair,Ron,
It would great to hear instrumental version's of the songs from "Some Lovers" and the songs
Burt wrote with Elvis Costello.
And also the five songs he composed with B.A.Robertson for the shelved "Snow White" musical in 1996.

"blue"
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I would love to hear the Snow White material, surely the fastest-disappearing of all Bacharach`s compositions.
Ron, I doubt that Sony UK expected much return on At This Time. It seemed like a benevolent act toward a prestige client. This was not uncommon forty-plus years ago, when a label would bankroll such talent with the take from its commercial roster. Alas, this was at least a couple of generations of CEOs ago. It would require another such offer to realize another such album, but I like to think someone out there would make it.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Blair & Blue:
Hopefully someone out there will back such a project(s). The Snow White, Costello,and Some Lovers material along with so much of the vocal material dating back to the 70's - and even earlier - would make for some potentially great orchestral recordings. ……. Very few artists are recipients of such benevolent acts which result in the release of product with marginal commercial potential. Dionne is one of those recipients with sales rankings of her most recent albums - marginal at best! …… It continues for her (and hopefully Burt) with another new Warwick CD in the works. …… Also working in Burt's favor is his continuing willingness to expand his horizons!
Ron
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

When Burt Bacharach collaborated with Ronald Isley in 2003, there was a promotional vinyl 12" record released. Side one had four selections: "Make It Easy On Yourself", "Anyone Who Had A Heart", "Alfie" and "Close To You" all sung by Ronald Isley. Side two had those same four songs, but without Mr. Isley's vocals, just the instrumental backing tracks, some with background vocals. It was wonderful to hear these classics updated by Mr. Bacharach, himself. Josie James and Donna Taylor's vocals really shine on "Anyone Who had A Heart", would love to hear the rest of those backing tracks from that cd.
chal1oye

Post by chal1oye »

For starters - think of the great potential orchestral arrangements Burt could put together with a couple of recently released Warwick tracks from the 70's: "And Then you Know What He Did" and "Plastic City" …….. Also some of the tracks on Carole Bayer Sager's album "Sometimes Late At Night" and some great BB songs recorded by Aretha, Patti LaBelle, Jackie DeShannon and others. …… Biggest challenge would be successfully marketing the product.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Unlike how some here feel, it is my belief that the entire At This Time album has one brilliant and sophisticated musical composition after the other. I can't understand why many here think it a lesser work from this genius composer. I never tire of listening to it and I find it to be musically advanced. For me, Burt was at the top of his game with this offering. My only complaint is that I could never find the sheet music for any of the music -- particularly "Danger," which I consider to be especially great.