The longest chart careers? DW again in the Billboard charts

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Downtown

The longest chart careers? DW again in the Billboard charts

Post by Downtown »

"Hope Is Just Ahead" has jumped to #60 on the Billboard A/C Charts! This is 52 years after "Don't Make Me Over"

...Does anyone know which living artist can claim for a longer chart career?
Attachments
1782148_426637030803859_1562496850_n.jpg
1782148_426637030803859_1562496850_n.jpg (71.76 KiB) Viewed 8381 times
someonenameddavid

Re: The longest chart careers? DW again in the Billboard cha

Post by someonenameddavid »

May be not in the US, but in the UK Cliff Richard has been going since Elvis was a lad.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

The Peter Pan of pop !

"blue"
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Tony Bennett (another musical treasure) first charted in 1951 (#1) with "Because of You" and in 2011 (#87) with "Body and Soul" (a duet with the late Amy Winehouse).
someonenameddavid

I think Tony Bennett has it, but I would like an honorable mention for Paul Anka (the Justin Bieber of 1958), who has a lot in common with Burt...
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Has to be very gratifying for both DW & BRC. ....... Heard they're considering touring together! ,,,,,,,, I'm confident this track will appear on DW's May release CD! ... Wish them both well as they continue performing and observe and encourage their children (David, Damon & Miley) and in DW's case (her granddaughter Cheyenne Elliott) making headway with their own music and recording careers.
Downtown

Post by Downtown »

Coincidently both Sir Cliff and Dionne are duetting with Engelbert on his new album, which is being released in Europe on the 16th. If I am not mistaken his last album was his first that went to Nr. 1 in the UK album charts in his 50+ years career.

Other duets on that CD are with Elton John, Smokey Robinson, Johnny Mathis, Willie Nelson and Charles Asznavour...Judging by the 1 minute snippet of the duet with Warwick "It Matters" To Me" you can listen to on iTunes Dionne sounds absolutely lovely here.

Engelbert participated in last years's Eurovision song contest (very big deal in Europe) and was the oldest participant ever. Unfortunately he came in second but last. Still a great performance...

And here is Sir Cliff coming in (in)famously second in 1968...

someonenameddavid

I think Barbra Streisand just beats Dionne
Downtown

Post by Downtown »

Nah, Warwick's chart career started a couple of month's before Streisand's.
someonenameddavid

Just heard that Dame Vera Lynn has issued a new album....
Downtown

Post by Downtown »

Got the new Engelbert album "Engelbert Calling" today and I really like the duet with Dionne. Interesting version of a song originally recorded by Shania Twain coming from the perspective of maturity here. And there are beautiful resonances of a much younger Dionne in her vocals. She sounds like she looks today - young and old at the same time.