A Poll (sort of)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

A Poll (sort of)

Post by Guest »

I don't know how to create a poll in these forums, so I'll just post this as regular text. What is your favorite cover of a Bacharach song by a male British artist? Some examples:

Engelbert Humperdink - I'm A Better Man
Frankie Vaughn - Tower Of Strength
Manfred Mann - My Little Red Book
Tom Jones - What's New Pussycat?
Adam Faith - Message to Martha/Country Music Holiday
Merseybeats - It's Love That Really Counts
Swingin' Blue Jeans - Don't Make Me Over
The Beatles - Baby It's You
Cryin' Shames - Please Stay
The Hollies/Peter Sellers - After The Fox
Michael Holliday - The Story Of My Life
Cliff Richard - A Girl Like You/I Wake Up Crying
Freddie & The Dreamers - I Fell In Love With Your Picture
Billy J. Kramer - Trains & Boats & Planes
Frank Ifield - Anonymous Phone Call
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: A Poll (sort of)

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Anonymous wrote:I don't know how to create a poll in these forums, so I'll just post this as regular text. What is your favorite cover of a Bacharach song by a male British artist? Some examples:

Technically, a "cover" is when some artist re-records (or "covers") the original artist's song. For example, Aretha Franklin did a "cover" of "I Say A Little Prayer For You" because it had originally been sung by Dionne. So, my point is that in this these there are some that are not covers... they are the originals. Of them all, my 2 favorites are Engelburt's "I'm a Better Man" (an original) and Tom Jones's "What's New Pussycat". Of those two, it's hard for me to pick. But if I had a gun to my head, I think I'd have to pick "I'm a Better Man".
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

It still seems strange to me that different performers would have hits in the UK with Bacharach songs than the US performers. It's also difficult for me to keep straight in my head which version was the original or the version Burt was involved with.

Of your list, "I'm A Better Man" is a great song, perhaps Engelbert's shining moment (please no hate mail for Engelbertians). "What's New Pussycat" is a classic. And maybe because it's the Beatles, but I love "Baby It's You."

PS: You need to be registered and logged in to start a poll. Try it. It's easy.

:D
Steveo

Post by Steveo »

Well, in my opinion, there can be no doubt that the 2 finest interpetations on the list are the Beatles and Tom Jones(with their respective songs...)
I don't consider Tom's or Engelbert's cover records..by the way..I know that Burt had a hand in producing this Jone's "Pussycat"record..but it's not quite clear in what way...
Im sure he was "over there" in the studio..but it sounds as tho the arrangement is from another hand(except for the accordion part,
that is pure Burt)
Certainly the backing group was the "Squires?"(was that their name?)
but it does have part of a Burt stamp" on it.. just how ..I don't know perhaps someone on the Bristish side of the Globe can answer what Burt's involvement was...
Englebert was probably offered "Better Man"by Blue seas/Jac music- Don Sorkin?...since Tom and Engelbert shared managers (Gordon Mills...)Again the arrangement doesnt sound like Burt's..
Billy J. Kramer did a nice job with "Trains and Boats and Planes"..although if i remember correctly..he left part of the song out..

Post by guest »

You say : Technically, a "cover" is when some artist re-records (or "covers") the original artist's song.

technically it´s a cover when he/she does this at the same time than, or very close to the original recording, otherwise it´s just another version.
Steveo

Post by Steveo »

Listening to the Ton Jones "hit" record again of "Pussycat....
a couple of things strike me..
one is the contrast between the loud oom pah german sound..and then it aquiesces to a sweet sound(pussycat pussycat..i love you)-with the soft romantic concertina or accordion-then it blasts again
2nd-in the main strains of the song the bass trombone accentuating and
sliding up and down...is a very important added touch even tho it's kind of low in the mix...and the tuba is also very important...
last but not least is Tom's masterful vocal touch..
brilliant!
rasputin

re: Fave British Male Version

Post by rasputin »

Yes, Tom Jones's "What's New, Pussycat?" will probably reign as the greatest British male interp of a Bacharach song ever. It's just so exuberantly a symbol of Swinging London in 1965.

But I have personal favorites: Cliff Richard's version of "Through The Eye Of A Needle" is sublime.

And of course Elvis Costello's whole album, PAINTED FROM MEMORY, is a minor masterpiece.

D.
Central Texas, USA

Post by guest »

Anonymous wrote:I don't know how to create a poll in these forums, so I'll just post this as regular text. What is your favorite cover of a Bacharach song by a male British artist? Some examples:

I choose Cliff´s wake up Cryin´; Billy Kramer´s Trains, boats,..... and sure Tom Jones´what´s New,
rasputin

Fave British male cover

Post by rasputin »

Maybe a surprise here:

Frank Ifield's version of "Anonymous Phone Call" is just a perfect recording of a BB song. He sings the song perfectly, with the right tone, pitch and rhythm.

"After The Fox" is such a brilliant record. It's got that icy, compressed "pop art" feeling that was felt at the end of the 1960's, beginning of the 70's. The chord voicings here are very witty and more
sophisticated than they at first seem. And of course the song has leaps of tonal center that are very inspired-- very cool. The Hollies were a very good group... perhaps underestimated?
kyleburke

Re: Fave British male cover

Post by kyleburke »

["After The Fox" is such a brilliant record. It's got that icy, compressed "pop art" feeling that was felt at the end of the 1960's, beginning of the 70's. The chord voicings here are very witty and more
sophisticated than they at first seem. And of course the song has leaps of tonal center that are very inspired-- very cool. The Hollies were a very good group... perhaps underestimated?[/quote]

Thanks, Rasputin, for emphasizing "After the Fox" - I think Graham Nash's incisive vocal presence contributes significantly to that "icy, compressed, 'pop art' feeling" (brilliantly summarized, I might add). And, I must say, Peter Sellers' delivery of those outrageously inane spoken responses can make me laugh out loud. It's fascinating to me that this song can so perfectly capsulize the tone of the movie and Sellers' psyche, be hilarious and yet incredibly interesting musically, all at the same time.
vunico

Post by vunico »

i prefer "love"s version of little red book...bombastic !!