Burt's astoneshing interview on PBS radio

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

mario serra

Burt's astoneshing interview on PBS radio

Post by mario serra »

I Have a new topic for the forum: Burt recent interview on PBS
> RADIO;astonished me when he stated that before At this time; he only wrote
> love songs: I simply can not beleave it:: What about songs such as Be
> Awere;The windows of the world;All kinds of people;Do you know the way to
> San Jose?:The lihrycs of theese songs are all socially concernened.Not to
> mention other songs like,The World is a circle, or Lost Horizon theame song.
> What of Love's still the answer.....I'm puzzled by Burt radio statements.
> Was he present in putting together music and lirhycs of theese songs? I
> think so.This is the reason why I find Burt words diffficult to beleave,and
> accept.Perhaps I misunderstood the whole thing.but it would be interesting
> to discuss the topic on the Forum.
Thank you all.Till my next post All the best.
Mario Serra
Blair N. Cummings

The Zeal of the Converted

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

From the earliest, pre-release interviews to the present Burt has been displaying the zeal of the new convert. He shakes his head ruefully as he considers his political apathy and inactivity during the late `60s/ early 70s and now wants us all to understand his position. As I`ve mentioned before, I`m just glad he didn`t age into a neo-con. If his politics seem still a bit tepid to an old lefty like me, well he`s Burt Bacharach for godsake, not a revolutionist.
In short, I doubt Burt means to be taken absolutely literally when he (seems to) play down his prior accomplishments. He`s just really pissed at GW and co. and AT THIS TIME wants everyone to know it.
BachToBacharach

Burt's Comments

Post by BachToBacharach »

Burt may be feeling his age. My dad is seventy-seven and is "soul-searching" at this point in his life-trying to make sense of things and wishing he had done some things differently (thank God he does not have the chance to go back-I might not be here!). I have had friends, uncles, aunts, et al, who at a certain age (and it's different for everyone) seem to do the same. I don't mean to second-guess anyone -let alone Burt, but I think Burt may be trying to "legitimize" his accomplishments in some way (as if he needs to). Burt is pissed at what is going on, surely, but as we age and mature, there seems to be some onus in a lot of us to try to do something "worthwhile" before we leave this place-Burt's legacy to us is his wornderful work but I think he may want to leave more. I can't think of anything more worthwhile than hearing "Window's of the World" in it's context, being sung by the wonderful Dionne Warwick, on the great WLS in September of 1967 in the midst of the Vietnam war. That song spoke to me and a lot of others and it's message is as meaningful today as it was the day Burt and Hal wrote it and Dionne recorded it. Yes, Hal wrote the lyric and maybe Burt wishes he had, but I know one thing-songs like Be Aware or Windows of the World or even Dionne's I Say A Little Prayer-do you know how many women sang that song each day as their "little prayer" to their fella in Vietnam? God knows that Burt made a difference in so many lives-much more than he knows and realizes. If At This Time is his "swan song" then I will chose to remember what he and Hal and Dionne meant to those of us who grew up in the 60s and how much that music touched hearts AND minds. I don't diminish anything he has done since, but they were something that will never be again. Maybe like the rest of us, Burt misses that is this world, too.
Ron

Post by Ron »

BachToBacharach:
I too remember listening to "Windows of the World" on WLS back in 1967 - the year I graduated from the University of Illinois Chicago. I still recall the day I bought Dionne's album (WOTW) @ Discount Records on State Street just a few doors south of the WLS Radio studios. Our paths may have crossed back in the 60's! Still love that song and almost all that has followed.
marioserra

My reply

Post by marioserra »

Dear frinds, thankyou very much for your contributions. I agree with you that ATT is a real and true turning point in the maestro's career.Ialso agree with the fact that he he is against the U.S.administration forigen politcs.My point is that the songs I pointed out in my previous post, have in common elements of clear social awareness.I Personally wish Burt and Barbra Streisand , get together to record Be Awere. I find her version the best one.I have the video tape of the SINGER TV special,jn which they preformed toghether.

I'm looking forward to Burt's next italian concert tour, and hope there will be a date set for Rome.