A little about the Ft. Myers show.

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Alvina

A little about the Ft. Myers show.

Post by Alvina »

As you know I posted about going to Ft. Myers to see a great show with Burt and group. It was a lovely Fl. evening.......70's and no wind. There were 4 of us, my mom,her friend June and my sis who hasn't seen a live show in many years. After she said "I forgot how much I love this". She has been listening to the new album a lot she tells me and loves it.
We arrived a bit early and had time to look around. It is the Barbara Mann performing arts ctr and quite beautiful. It isn't huge which makes it all the better. I had contacted a lady, Marty Bryant that was in charge of the evening because all profits go to the preservation of Sanibel Captiva and if you remember it was hit hard year before last by the hurricanes. I had contacted her to inquire about the cost of before and after parties to meet and greet Burt. It was a bit too much for most of us so we opted for $60 tickets. In any case Marty said she would take care of our tickets,not to worry. When she got back to me it was 9th row center and I was a bit disappointed wondering if I might not have done better on my own.
The night of the show I inquired at will call asking for a possible upgrade(never hurts to ask) and the young lady there said "wow" these are great for someone with no membership. So, i guess Marty did us a nice favor. I did meet one lady out front that said she was a great fan and read the forum but never posted. She by the way was on the front row lol.
Marty and I do have a friend in common so perhaps that was why she was so good to us.
The show started with an opening act and my heart dropped because that usually means a shorter Burt show. Her name was and this is how she spells it....ilona knopfler. She was a beautiful blonde with a jazz group...real base and all. I loved it ......she sang a song or 2 in French. I bought both her albums. She did no more than 5 songs as I recall and they had a short intermission to set up Burt's stage and on we went to a glorious and perhaps one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. They are always good but every one of the performers were in top condition even though I was told after Burt had a cold. He must have been on good meds because he was great as were all the singers but I thought Josie was the absolute best I have ever seen her. There was some not scripted ad libbing ...just a fun evening. He did do about 5 songs from the new album. Now that it has a Grammy I guess he feels more confident in the publics acceptance. In any case it was great for us all. He did very close if not 2 hours even with opening act.
It just doesn't get much better.
Vincent, I wish I was going to Raleigh now lol...U told me i should. I never listen.
By the way David, your lovely daughter was the best that night as i bet she always is.
Keep smiling ,keep shining,
Alvina
bonkersforburt

thanks alvina

Post by bonkersforburt »

it is always a pleasure to hear from you....we all can enjoy vicariously...
i am always amazed at burt's stamina and aren't we lucky that he still wants to tavel and perform!
Alvina

glad he still performs

Post by Alvina »

Oh, I marvel at his stamina and I will forever be grateful that he still performs. It is a gift to us all and the fact that he makes it accessable to most who really want to attend. I know the accident with his shoulder was not easy but he didn't let it slow him up for long. What a spirit he has. He has mellowed and become less shy than when I first met him in the 70's. I think I am accurate in saying he was a bit shy. He was always cordial but not nearly as warm and relaxed as he is now with us. Last time in Vegas 5 of us waited outside by the limo in the cold (it is always worth it).In any case 4 of us were there doing our thing with autographs and pictures when he looked behind us at my mom who always stands back (even though she has been to more shows with me than anyone) and asked "Who is this lady"? So Mom stepped up and they chatted a minute. She was so thrilled......I never knew it would mean that much to her. She always acted like she just went along with me to please me. She said she liked the shows but was not the fan I was. Wel my dears, now she's in love at 83 lol. Too much, I was so happy to see her happy. He is very special and aging in the best possible way as i see it.
Take care all....my love to you all.
Alvina