Searching for Info on Tony Velona

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

steveo_1965

Searching for Info on Tony Velona

Post by steveo_1965 »

Hi Folks,
I am searching biographical information and pics of a songwriter who had
a great hit. His song was not dissimilar to B. Bacharach...his name was
Tony Velona and I tracked one of his last known addresses to Compton, Ca. (South Los Angeles) He, I found out, is deceased, but he wrote a gem of a song recorded by many, most notably Jack Jones, Steve Lawrence and Herb Alpert..."Lollipops and Roses". He wrote the words "Music To Watch Girls By", Dominai by Julius La Rosa..and did the songs for a film score "The Clown and the Kids" starring Emmett Kelly(1967)
He worked briefly writing a concept album "Inner Dialogue" with Joey Bishop Show pianist Gene DiNovi in the late 60's.
Can't find much on him..if anyone has any resources or high research skills, a helping hand would be appreciated.

Best,

Steveo

P.S. Burt's old friend and associate Steve Lawrence knew and worked with Tony Velona, co-writing the song "You Better Run...Steve, if you read this forum from time to time, please give me some info on Tony, anything you can add...a physical description, ancedotes,etc..anything..I'm eager beaver to know more about this chap.
:wink:
Last edited by steveo_1965 on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gabba

this is what i've got..

Post by gabba »

steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Gabba,
Ty!..that gives me some vital information I needed. I was off
by one city on his last address. It was Inglewood (right next door to Compton)

great! : )