Favorite Ending to a Bacharach song

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

BB4LIFE

Favorite Ending to a Bacharach song

Post by BB4LIFE »

Hello everyone. My reason for asking this question came to me because I've been listening to Burt's instrumental version of "Close to You" over and over again. Not only is this one of my favorite songs, but it is also one of my favorite endings to a song as well. The way he builds up the emotion and feeling with the strings, then takes it back down a notch to the quiet and calm sound of the piano, well, it's just absolutely beautiful. It's a haunting sound that just lingers on and on and takes you to a place where you want to be. Ha, that's how Burt does it :) So with that being said, what is your favorite ending to a Bacharach song?
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

post no longer exists
Last edited by steveo_1965 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rio

Post by Rio »

Always BB on A&M or with Costello.

1. Close To You

Just to shake things up, I highlight two of my favorites:

I Might Frighten Her Away
The Sweetest Punch

Also:

Whoever You Are
Wanting Things
Knowing When To Leave
Alfie
A House Is Not A Home
Come Touch The Sun
Raindrops (BB and BJ)
Walk The Way You Talk
My Thief
Lisa
helcio mazzuco

that's a tough one...

Post by helcio mazzuco »

Among some many wonderful songs is hard to choose a favorite one, so I'll select two (non-hits) tunes...1970's "Send My Picture To Scranton, PA" by B. J. Thomas and 1972's "Be Aware" by Dionne Warwick.
Take care,
Helcio
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour BB4Life;

My favorite is, Burt singing on Lost Horizon!

The last 54 seconds is truly awesome!!! Where does Burt come up with these out of this world ending?! 8)

Take care mon ami

Vincent
blueonblue

burt

Post by blueonblue »

BB4LIFE, Vincent,
Totally agree, this is a fantastic arrangement !!!
Also, what about the endings for the following;
How Many Days Of Sadness........Dionne,
The Green Grass Starts To Grow.......Dionne,
Be Aware....Barbra Streisand (Burt TV Special)
Paper Mache.............Dionne,
Who Get's The Guy.........Dionne,
When I finish typing I'll remember some more !!! :?

"Blue"
BB4LIFE

Post by BB4LIFE »

I'm going to have to check out some of these songs that all of you have listed. I am not familiar with some of them but perhaps I should get familiar with them...huh? I have thought of two more songs that I don't think anyone has listed yet.

"The Balance of Nature"- Not Dionne's version, but rather the one where Burt is singing with another lady. The ending is awesome because it finishes with Burt humming the notes that the harmonica is playing at the same time. At least I'm guessing it's a harmonica, ha, sure sounds like one.

"Wives and Lovers"- Any version I've heard in the past is pretty much the same. It goes from being really full of energy to being real quiet in a romantic way (obviously). Basically setting the mood for love. But I especially like it when Burt sings at the end. I like it when Burt sings period. Take care everyone.
Steve Schenck

favorite endings

Post by Steve Schenck »

I also like very much the ending to "Long Ago Tomorrow," with BJ Thomas. The way the piano and sax come in; the sax has a very mouthy, reedy sound to it, something I'm guessing was deliberate for the "feel" it gave the piece. Another example of Burt's attention to detail.
Rio

Post by Rio »

I totally agree with Steve re the BB-BJ version of Long Ago Tomorrow. Very special.

And I'd say that Burt's attention to detail (and the fact that it is HIS attention) is probably what keeps his works fresh to me. I know I'll never grasp everything, but he keeps my ears pricked. My admiration is unbounded.

I'll use this opportunity to add also Love Is My Decision to my already long list.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

post no longer exists
Last edited by steveo_1965 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

The truth is that Burt's endings are better than most songwriters whole songs!!

Anyhow, if you put a gun to my head, my vote would go to the ending to "Lost Horizon" that Burt did for himself. I get chills, goosebumps and see God whenever I hear it. That's what Burt's music can do to a person.

P.s. I notice Vincent, above, picked this one out too. And the two of us have spoken about it and we couldn't help agreeing on this one.
Martyn

Favourite Endings

Post by Martyn »

Yes there are some endings to Burt's own instrumental versions that are simply sublime. My favourites are the endings of the following great pieces:

1. Pacific Coast Highway - The recurring string/horn melody with the F, G and F sharp piano notes repeating - wonderful!
2. Knowing When to Leave - Yes this is beautiful, from the chord changes that lead in to the oboe(?) repetition.
3. Wanting Things - The chord change on the word 'mine' where the tune goes off in another direction, before returning to the wonderful brass rendition of the main theme.
4. Whoever You Are I Love You - An Alfie-like instrumental sojourn follows the brief vocal with lovely horns and strings - makes you think of summer nights, with a light breeze, on a yacht in some exotic harbour!
5. Lost Horizon - Sounds sweet and melancholy at the same time.
6. April Fools - The sweet-sounding chorus followed by a gentle finish on the piano.
7. Long Ago Tomorrow (BJ Thomas) - Not one of Burt's instrumentals but the piano and solo horn at the end sound like a Burt arrangement.
8. Magdalena - Another ending with a summery sound and a slight dissonance in the voicings of the strings.
9. Here I Am (with Ron Isley) - Burt prolongs the enjoyment with a recurring theme at the end.

Martyn.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

A minor correction to my last post:

The three piano notes Burt repeats at the end of Pacific Coast Highway are
G, A and F sharp............I think!

Martyn.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

..........and I left out 'Come Touch the Sun'! How could I miss that one??!!!

Martyn.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

post no longer exists
Last edited by steveo_1965 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.