In The Style Of "Burt"....

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

Dusty..

Post by blueonblue »

As "grooverider" rightly mentioned, this is almost "unbearable"
to listen to....

"blue"
ps
God Bless.............we miss you Dusty.
Dennis Webb

re: In the Style of Burt

Post by Dennis Webb »

Art,

CK's performance of "Goin' Back" (and the arrangement) on the "Pearls" CD has a gentle wistfullness to it. Leave it to Dusty to inject it with the heartfelt soul she was so good at expressing. Hearing it at her funeral must have been overwhelming to those present. Do you happen to know of any written accounts of the funeral that I might find online?

I've never heard the Byrds' recording of this song, but their sound would be just right for it, I think. Strange that "Goin' Back" was never a hit in the U.S., as far as I know.

Incidentally, I saw a performance of Dusty singing "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" on one of the fundraising specials our public broadcast network showed last year. It was a black and white tape apparently from the 1960s, with Dusty in a lovely gown and with something approaching the size of an orchestra behind her. The power and drama and expressiveness of her vocals just left me breathless. I'd seen her perform on TV before, but never like this. I found this same performance clip recently on YouTube, but unfortunately the sound and picture were so out of sync that it wasn't worth watching. Maybe someone will post a clean copy of it sometime.

Best wishes,
Dennis
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Hi Dennis,
The Byrds recorded "Goin' Back" in 1967 for their album, "the Notorious Byrd Brothers" with the legendary Red Rhodes on pedal steel and is available in CD form on that remastered CD and on the Byrds box set titled, "The Byrds". It is definitely worth checking out.
As far as info concerning "Dusty Springfield's funeral", please Google those words and a lot of sites will come up. Burt Bacharach did send his condolences at that time. Incidentally, a great Dusty Springfield CD is called "Songbooks" where she sings the songs of Bacharach & David (10 songs) and Goffin & King (11 songs), including "Goin' Back". Good luck!
Dennis Webb

re: In the Style of Burt

Post by Dennis Webb »

Grooverider,

Thanks for the info. I'll look for the Byrds and check out the DS compilation. I have a three-CD set of her recordings, but if the one you mention has any additional Burt or CK songs on it, then it's something I want to get. I need to compare the contents, which should be easy online.

Yes, I should have guessed that Google would be able to turn up a lot of material. Off I go.

-Dennis
pljms

Hatch arranges Bacharach

Post by pljms »

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is the fact that Tony Hatch recorded a Bacharach tribute album in 1971, entitled 'What the World Needs Now' - The Songs of Bacharach and David'. Arranged and produced by Hatch, it featured orchestral versions of 12 B&D standards. As far as I'm aware it has yet to be released on CD, which is strange considering the iconic stature of both Bacharach and Hatch. After all, there can't be many recordings where one leading composer/arranger pays tribute to another.
Paul
blueonblue

Burt and Tony..........

Post by blueonblue »

Thank you pljms,
I did not know about that album ?
I've just been listening to to Tony Hatch's "Orchestral" version
of "Where Are You Now".......it almost sounds as if Bacharach
himself is conducting the orchestra....."Very Dramatic" !!!!!!!!

"blue"
PS
Sounds like Tony's a huge fan of Burt's music !!!!!