something about "the bell that wouldn't jingle"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

something about "the bell that wouldn't jingle"

Post by Steve Schenck »

For the longest time, I thought this was a song Burt wrote in the mid-to-later 60s. I thought there was an online mistake when I saw on one of the hitmaker lists that it was written in the late 50s... '57, I think. It struck me as odd because in those years, I don't think Burt had quite developed that distinctive style, so easily recognizable, that he had by the early - mid 60s. When I listen to volume 1 of the Rhino collection, or the 3 CD set of 60 great BB songs, so many songs there are interesting, but not as easily recognizable as, say, "Knowing When to Leave," or "This Guy's in Love with You." When I listen to "The Bell that Wouldn't Jingle," it has so many characteristics of Burt's later style - the upbeat accents, the intro countermelody that is different from the song itself, but that fits so well as both an intro or a concluding fadeout, the typically bacharachian use of female voices in the chorus, the brass role in the arrangement,... it's like a prophetic glimpse of what his songwriting would become in the next 5-10 years. I think for those who are keen on the essence of Burt's style, of what makes his songs unmistakably his, this rarely heard Christmas song is a primo example. Sadly, its lyric and obvious connection to one holiday season limits it to a narrow range of playtime and of listeners. But to this listener and fan, it's a wonderful example of so many qualities that come to mind when we think of "the Bacharach sound."
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Steve,
Thanks for the neat analysis of the tune and it's Bacharachisms...
I assume you are reffering to the 45 single that Burt cut with A&M in
the very early 70's?
I think there are a couple of earlier versions cut by various singers..
Bobby Helms, perhaps?

Steveo
Steve Schenck

the bell...

Post by Steve Schenck »

Well, Steve, I'm not sure which one it is. The first time I heard it was in the late 80s; I was in a friend's house and saw a collection of old albums. One was a Christmas compilation, and if I'm not mistaken, Herb Alpert was listed as doing the brass work. There was no male vocal; just the girls voices. Then I also heard the song on a Columbia Records set of CDs from WCBS FM in NY, which used to play exclusively golden oldies. "The Bell" was on that set, too, but I can't recall if it was the same as the other recording I'd heard, or whether there might have been a man's voice on it. I believe that recording was listed as being from 1968. Steve
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Thank you Steve,
I think we're talking about the same recording...

: )
Steveo
Joan NYC

Post by Joan NYC »

Hi Steve and Steve,

The Bell That Couldn't Jingle was on Herb Alpert's Christmas album from the late '60's, with Herb doing both the singing and the trumpet. It was one of my favorites from the album, even before I realized it was from Burt. Too bad we don't hear it very often. Thanks for reminding us.

Best to All,

Joan
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Ty Steve and Joan
for this information..I think the one I'm talking about was cut by Burt as a "b' side for a 45 , and features just girls singing on it, and is different than the one you all are talking about. I need to hear this "Alpert" version!

Best,

Steveo
Joan NYC

Post by Joan NYC »

Hi Steveo,

I just found it at the ITunes store, where you can hear a snippet of Herb's version.

Best,

Joan
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

It's a shame that all the rare tunes that were posted on yousendit and linked here weren't uploaded onto youtube instead. I doubt if one penny is being taken out of anyone's pocket by doing so. My hope is that dibotis (over at youtube, God bless him!!) will get around to doing so. He's making some great, great songs available for all the world to appreciate. (And his accompanying pictures are fantastic, too!)
blueonblue

Dreamer...........

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Enormous,
Fully agree with you !!!
Here's another beautiful, but seldom heard Dionne track !
Courtesy of the brilliant Mr Dibotis !!!

"blue"
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

While I can't upload this to YouTube, here's Bobby Helms' "The Bell Who Couldn't Jingle", which is the song's first recorded version from 1957. I'm still trying to find Paul Evans' subsequent recording, which in turn was followed by the familiar Burt & Herb Alpert takes (both available on a number of collections) we all know and love. Enjoy!

http://download.yousendit.com/5C436D767AE8F1F1
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Thanks NYMguy for posting this cut. I must say....Bobby Helms
had a lot of moxy to cut it, as it was kind of difficult song to sing for 1957, and Bob had a bit of a problem singing it(as one can tell) because of the jazz chords and the meoldy on the lyric of "the Bell that couldn't Jingle"(it was jinging all the way)chords being Ami7th, Ab9th to Gmi7th, and that strange melody accompanying it..but overall, he did a bang up job on it, and it should have become a bigger hit that it did.....

Best,
Steveo
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Dreamer...........

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

blueonblue wrote:Hi Enormous,
Fully agree with you !!!
Here's another beautiful, but seldom heard Dionne track !
Courtesy of the brilliant Mr Dibotis !!!

"blue"
One of my all-time favorites PERIOD!! "Dream Sweet Dreamer" exhibits, as much as any song Burt ever wrote, his a) genius for melody (and harmony) and b) his life force! We can mention many other great songwriters. But none have Burt's emotion and depth, IMHO. Even without a lyric, this music is so haunting and beautiful... and timeless.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Enormous,
If I had to make a "Top Ten" list of all my favourite Burt Bacharach songs
"Dream Sweet Dreamer" would be very close to the top !!!!!!!!

"blue"
HGN2001

Post by HGN2001 »

"The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" did indeed appear on Herb Alpert's CHRISTMAS ALBUM, and Herb's version is now available again, remastered, from Shout! Factory.

Burt's version, in addition to appearing on an A&M single, also appeared on a Christmas album that the label put out in conjunction with B.F.Goodrich Tires. The album was called SOMETHING FESTIVE and featured 10 songs from the A&M label's artists.

SOMETHING FESTIVE
SP19003

1. Herb Alpert & The TJB: Winter Wonderland
2. Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66: The Christmas Song
3. Liza Minnelli: Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy
4. Julius Wechter & Baja Marimba Band: Partridge In A Pear Tree
5. We Five: My Favorite Things

6. Burt Bacharach: The Bell That Couldn't Jingle
7. Pete Jolly: It's The Most Wonderful Time
8. Claudine Longet: Snow
9. Julius Wechter & Baja Marimba Band: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
10. Herb Alpert & The TJB: Jingle Bell Rock

The album, as it exists, never appeared on CD, but a number of the tracks have finally seen the light of day on various compilations and box sets over the years. Burt's version can be found in the Hip-O box set SOMETHING BIG.

The old LP can usually be found on eBay and at used record stores.

Harry
Harry from A&M Corner
BachtoBacharach

Bell

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Here is a lip-synched version of the tune.