Question Me An Answer Quiz

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

scotsgreg

Question Me An Answer Quiz

Post by scotsgreg »

See if you can answer with the Bacharach/David song that contains the following lyrical questions:

1. Is it true what they say?
2. Should I ring your doorbell and just walk away?
3. How can I take you back and love you?
4. What am I to do?
5. Are we meant to be kind?
6. Oh, how can I forget you?
7. Who will I wake up for through all those lonely years?
8. Just how many tears do I have to cry?
9. Won't you tell me where you've gone to?
10. How can I go to parties or a movie?
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Scottsgreg,

This is a good quiz! i was able to get 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7.
5 of 'em I can't get!
Since I know the ones I mentioned well, I''ll let others guess them, but dang, if you haven't got me stumped on half of them! lol

Steveo

Addendum: I looked up no. 8 on the web, and dang, if i didn't recognize the song! couldnt identify it seperately! lol
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

ok, I gave others a chance, but they are not answering, Scottsgreg,
so here it goes...
1.?
2. Are You There Dionne
3.?
4.Anyone Who Had A Heart -Dionne
5. Alfie-Dionne
6.Always something there TO Remind me-Dionne and others
7.Who is gonna Love Me(one of my favorites)-Dionne
8.Beginning if Loneliness(had to look this one up, but remembered it afterwards)-Dionne
9. Come and Get Me-Jackie DeShannon-had to look this one up
10.?

Steveo
Joan NYC

Post by Joan NYC »

Here's my guess for number 10.

Walking Backwards Down the Road
blueonblue

Quiz ...

Post by blueonblue »

1.Who Gets The Guy ???

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Blue,
You are coorect, so that leaves no. 3 to be answered.
Best,
Steveo
Bruce Bernard Williams

The Answer To #3

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

This was a very challenging lyrical test which means a lot of thought went into it. Thanx again Scotsgreg for challenging us! I believe the answer to #3 is "How Can I Hurt You?" by Dionne. Hope you have a "Part II" for us soon.
scotsgreg

Excellent, everyone!

Post by scotsgreg »

1. People say you have found another. Is it true what they say?-Who Gets The Guy? Dionne Warwick/1971
2. Should I ring your doorbell and just walk away? My friends all say that you were never true.-Are You There With Another Girl? Dionne Warwick/1966
3. Why must I need someone who can't be true? How can I take you back and love you? -Where Would I Go? Dionne Warwick/1968
4. You couldn't really have a heart and hurt me like you've hurt me and be so untrue. What am I to do?-Anyone Who Had A Heart-Dionne Warwick/1964
5. Are we meant to take more than we give? Or are we meant to be kind?-Alfie-Cilla Black/1966
6. Oh, how can I forget you when there is always something there to remind me?-Always Something There To Remind Me-Lou Johnson/1964
7. Who will I wake up for through all those lonely years? No one to wake up for but sleep won't come to end these tears.-Who Is Gonna Love Me-Dionne Warwick/1968
8. Just how many tears do I have to cry? You've got to love me. If you don't love me, I'll die.-The Beginning of Loneliness-Dionne Warwick/1967
9. Oh, please...won't you tell me where you've gone to--gone to?-Come And Get Me-Jackie Deshannon/1966
10. How can I go to parties or a movie? I'd just panic when we'd meet.-Walking Backwards Down The Road-Dionne Warwick/1968

Hope you found it a fun quiz! I compiled it because it only recently dawned on me that part of what makes Hal David's lyrics so uniquely personal is his ability to utilize pointed questions to often deliver a song's emotional punch, inviting the listener to empathize with the narrator's dilemmas by provoking reflection upon our own experiences in such situations. When confronted with questions, we personalize a quest for an answer. I can't think of another lyricist who has employed questions as such a frequent and compelling phrasing tool.
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Excellent, everyone!

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

scotsgreg wrote:Hope you found it a fun quiz! I compiled it because it only recently dawned on me that part of what makes Hal David's lyrics so uniquely personal is his ability to utilize pointed questions to often deliver a song's emotional punch, inviting the listener to empathize with the narrator's dilemmas by provoking reflection upon our own experiences in such situations. When confronted with questions, we personalize a quest for an answer. I can't think of another lyricist who has employed questions as such a frequent and compelling phrasing tool.
Well... Question Me An Answer!!!

Well done!!