Ted Heath Covers Burt, Bach & the Beatles

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bill Minnick

Ted Heath Covers Burt, Bach & the Beatles

Post by Bill Minnick »

Ted's big bands were always first-rate, with top notch arrangers, too.

http://www.worldsrecords.com/cgi-bin/st ... rase=61132
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

perhaps sid phillips did some of the charts?
Bill Minnick

Post by Bill Minnick »

Don't really know, Steveo, though I did subsequently come across an interesting profile/interview of a well-regarded musician/arranger from the same general timeframe as the Heath record and with whom I was previously unfamiliar--Steve Gray. Ever hear of him? Here's the referenced piece.

http://www.vinylvulture.co.uk/interviews/steve_gray.php
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Bill,

Wow! Steve Gray sounds like a fine musician...I'm gonna check out his

stuff..thanks!
Tont Hatch tells me(by email) that another fine arranger he has worked with, who is responsible for many great arrangements is Bob Leaper....
Bob did an instrumental Beatle album in the 60's as well.

Steveo
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Tony Hatch...another one of the true greats of pop music, and someone who produced & arranged at least a few wonderful versions of Bacharach/David songs! (I was spinning his production of Petula Clark's "Saturday Sunshine" repeatedly just yesterday!) Wonder if the esteemed Mr. Hatch has any current projects in the pipeline. Ever since hearing the original cast recording of his musical THE CARD (and realizing, "Hey! This is the same guy responsible for all of those amazing Petula Clark records!), I've been a Hatch fan and follower.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

NYMusicalsguy,
I. too, am a fan of Tony's...No, I don't know him, but I do write him occasionally with questions about this or that and he graciously writes back.
i've never heard Saturday Sunshine by P.Clark/Hatch..i'm sure it sounds great, tho.

Steveo