"Lost Horizon"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

grooverider

"Lost Horizon"

Post by grooverider »

I recently got a vinyl copy of the "Lost Horizon" soundtrack and it contained two booklets: the lyrics to the songs and a "souvenir" book. The souvenir booklet is very interesting reading. It states "In Lost Horizon he (George Kennedy) makes his screen singing debut." I always thought Mr. Kennedy's voice was dubbed by Jerry Hutman for "If I Could Go Back". What gives?

Also, the screenplay is credited to Larry Kramer. This is same author of "The Normal Heart" and AIDS activist? If they are indeed one and the same, what does Mr. Kramer say about his involvement with "Lost Horizon" now, if anything? Thanks for any help.
Steve Schenck

Lost Horizon

Post by Steve Schenck »

I could be wrong, but I don't think George Kennedy sang the "If I Could Go Back" song. At least, his character didn't. That song was done by Peter Finch, or Peter Finch's character. George may have sung along on some group numbers...? Steve
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Groove,
I think perhaps the general "pr" is that George "sang" in the movie, meaning he never appeared this way before, but I think his voice was dubbed if he sang any major numbers...If, as Steve S. suggests, he possibly sang in some group numbers, it may be likely he chimed in
vocally.
As far as Larry Kramer, yes, it is the same Larry Kramer.
here are some stats:
Date of Birth:25 June 1935, Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA more
Trivia:Founded ACT UP in 1987, an AIDS advocacy and protest group. more
Awards:2 Oscar Nominations

Writer:
1990s
1970s
1960s
Larry Kramer (1993) (TV) (plays The Normal Heart and The Destiny of Me)

Lost Horizon (1973) (screenplay)

Women in Love (1969)
Reflections on Love (1966) etc............

Steveo
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Steve & Steveo, Thank you both and yes, Steve, you are right about Peter Finch "singing" "If I Could Go Back". After a little checking, it looks like George Kennedy was not given any songs to sing in the film. Yes, it does look like maybe he joined along in a chorus somewhere in one or more of the songs but it seems somewhat strange for Columbia to say this film is his singing debut!

Thanks, Steveo, for the info on Larry Kramer.
Art
gabba

sally kellerman

Post by gabba »

the only artist who sings for real in the movie is sally kellerman..if i'm not wrong...others were dubbed...CIAO GABBA
Rio

Post by Rio »

I believe Burt himself says Peter Finch did a great job on If I Could Go Back.

By the way: I never heard Burt sing with so much passion (maybe Alfie is an exception?) as in the demo version of that song. He gave his all. What a treat. I started to really like the song only then.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Hi Rio, Quoting from Serene Dominic's book "Burt Bacharach Song by Song" concerning the song "If I Could go Back" and Peter Finch, Mr. Dominic states that Burt said, "It doesn't matter if Peter Finch sings, 'If I Could Go Back', which is a damn good song. That song by itself has a lot of heart. But you saw it in the movie and you don't give a f**k if he goes back or not."

This is confusing because the song is actually sung by Jerry Hutman, I guesss he's talking about the character Mr. Finch plays.
But the Andy Willliams version, arranged and conducted by the great Artie Butler is a great version, although any reference to Shangri La is excised. I have not heard Mr. Bacharach's demo version but I'm sure you're right, it must be a real treat.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Groove,
I think what Burt meant is as he watched or one watches the film, it doesn't capture your interest, so even tho the song was great, one doesn't give a hang whether Finch goes back to Shangri La or not..
As you know, he was very bummed out about the way this film turned out, and this also contributed to his receeding from the scene for quite awhile.

Steveo
Last edited by steveo_1965 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

For those who haven't heard it, here's Burt's (indeed impassioned) take on "If I Could Go Back" from the LOST HORIZON demo. While the film was not a pleasant experience for Burt, his beautiful music written for it never ceases to bring a smile to my face, or in the case of "If I Could Go Back", a bit of a choke in my throat. Enjoy!!!

http://download.yousendit.com/95F90AE97E39638C

Best to all,

Joe
blueonblue

Burt's "demo"

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Joe,
Never have I heard Burt sing with such "passion" !!!
A lot of people deride the songs from "Lost Horizon" but I've always
loved them...........very underrated score !!!

Joe, thanks for sharing,
"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

It is a thrill to hear the opening trumpet solo from the Lost Horizon soundtrack album, and then the thud from the tympani, whereafter the strings enter....
I enjoy that very much!

Steveo
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Thanks so much for that Burt demo of If I Could Go Back. As I was listening to it, I felt that Burt's genius was all over that song. He created such tension, drama and raw emotion that it was palpable. It wasn't so much a song as a 3-minute opera. And, as usual, his gift for creating unique melodies is very much in evidence here. And, of course, I would hate not to mention the greatness of Hal's lyric.

How could Burt and Hal have written so many great songs anyhow? Is there any writer or writers today who constantly hit the charts with the frequency that Burt and Hal did from, say, 1963 to 1970? I know that Diane Warren was doing it for a while, as was Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds. Who else, if anyone?
Steve Schenck

if i could go back...

Post by Steve Schenck »

Hey, Joe - Wow, what a find! Thanks so much for posting that link to Burt's demo. What I found so interesting was to hear the song played and sung by the composer BEFORE its orchestration. Burt has often said that, more often than not, when he writes a song, he already hears the orchestration, knows just where the strings will come in, how the brass will be used, percussive components, etc. Having listened so often to the sound track, I could sense that here was a case in point. The way he sang accompanied the orchestration that eventually was put down on paper and recorded so perfectly. I couldn't help but hear the orchestration myself as I listened to Burt and piano alone. Thanks for posting what I would never have heard otherwise. Steve
HGN2001

Post by HGN2001 »

Sorry I missed this thread. The link above no longer works, and I'd like to have heard Burt's take on "If I Could Go Back". I've got his demo of "Lost Horizon" on an advanced promo soundtrack LP that was given out, but was unaware of a demo recording for any of the other songs. I've always liked the LOST HORIZON songs, and if truth be told, enjoy the movie a lot too.

Harry
Harry from A&M Corner
blueonblue

share the joy !!!

Post by blueonblue »

Interesting "clip" featuring some of Burt's rare "incidental" music....

"blue"