"On the Flip Side"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

grooverider

"On the Flip Side"

Post by grooverider »

Does anyone know if the 1966 tv special, "On the Flip Side" is available on DVD and also, if the soundtrack is available in any format? I would be really interested in seeing this and hearing what Bacharach and David's songs were like. It starred Rick Nelson and Joanie Summers and was originally on ABC's ABC Stage '67. Thanks for any help.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Groove,
Don't really know... Lp's of it are on eBAy, or have been, and I once had
a 45 single of Rick Nelson's on Decca with 2 songs from the production.
"They Don't Give Medals" was on one side(from the production?) and
"Take a Broken Heart", which I liked very much....I liked Rick's reading of the tune.

Steveo
blueonblue

"FLIP"

Post by blueonblue »

Groove, Steveo,
I recently bought a cd card-sleeve copy from Japan (orginal cast album)
it contains some great songs like; "Juanita's Place", "Fender Mender"
"Try To See It My Way", "They're Gonna Love It" and Steveo, the two
that you have already mentioned, considering it's forty years old, the
sound quality is amazing......a "must" for any "Bacharachian" !!!
I've never seen a video or dvd of this musical though ?...I'd love
to see it !!!

"blue"
heartlight

on the flip side

Post by heartlight »

Groove,

try this website : www.kinevideo.net

I believe they have access to the old shows and can actually create a personal DVD with your choices.

It was on my "to-do"list but haven't gotten to it so I cannot confirm it to you, but certainly worth a try.

Best.
Steve Schenck

"On the Flip Side" recording

Post by Steve Schenck »

I, too, bought the CD from Japan, via Amazon. I love it! It has great songs and great arrangements - by Peter Matz, I believe. But the Burt magic is unmistakable. I especially like "Juanita's Place." The 2 versions of the song on this album are both energetic and powerful pieces. I also have seen the Kinevideo advertisement online; I never ventured to buy it because it's a several-generations-removed recording and, to be honest, I'm really only interested in the music. It IS great music! Steve
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Well, as you all know it was a tv special "abc stage 67"or something like that,probably on video tape,. it was a one shot deal, aired quickly and forgotten (by many),
but I'd like to see the video of it.It may have been an afterschool special
(played in the afternoon)..I need to re establish some details on it's airing.
The story was kind of cool, about a rock stars rise and fall from fame..(so
I read)

Steveo
FK

Post by FK »

The Audio CD is available today at www.amazon.com for US$ 32.49.

I bought it a few months ago.

Best regards,

Fernando
FK
scotsgreg

On The Flip Side

Post by scotsgreg »

I acquired a pirated VHS copy through an eBay dealer several years ago. (It appeared to be a copy of a copy of a copy of a vintage kinescope: in other words, not a terribly good reproduction although the sound was in decent shape and, after viewing it, I soon parted with it.) Given the dubious artistic merits of it, I have a hard time imagining a distributor finding it a lucrative proposition to release on DVD anytime soon.

For those who haven't seen it, it's an hour-long special with a variety show look and basically plays like an extended song-and-dance dream sequence from a teen-focused show of the era like My Three Sons or The Donna Reed Show, simultaneously exploiting and mocking the commercial pop music scene (reflecting the attitudes of a conservative establishment, as was the television custom in 1966) within a predictable guardian angel storyline. In other words, it's a somewhat charming, mostly silly and occasionally embarrassing piece of nostalgia, most noteworthy for Bacharach's music and Rick Nelson's and Joanie Sommers' teenybopper sex appeal. It's definitely worth a look for enthusiasts of Bacharach and mid-1960s pop culture, but it's not really a keeper (and I love all things 'groovy!') The soundtrack almost holds together better as a cohesive work than the special itself, in my humble opinion.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Many thanks to all who offered tips and insight into this mostly forgotten piece of Bacharach and David's past. I very much appreciate all of your generosity and willingness to help..."With a dream in your heart you're never alone." Art
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

hmmmm interesting video review..i still would like to see it, because i love the 60's "i.d." and a lot of things others find sappy, i dig....
watching it with such low quality reproduction had to be disturbing...
we need a better "master copy " of the special than the ones that are offered.
BachtoBacharach

They Don't Give Medals to Yesterday's Heroes

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Dionne Warwick's version of the tune from 1970: