Remembering Baltimore

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

JR

Remembering Baltimore

Post by JR »

The Meyerhoff is a wonderful place. This was the second time I got tickets. This time I was close and lucky enough to be seated in one of the tier boxes above center stage off to the left, close enough to get a bird’s eye view of the performers’ hand movements, even lucky enough to exchange a hi-hello-there with the Maestro himself. Still a Cat. The performance of the singers, backup musicians and symphony was right on. The sound mix was no less than studio quality. Once a musical director always a musical director, just like it was that evening last year when we attended at the Keswick outside of Philadelphia. That’s why I had to go back again. Add to this all the stuff about life, passion and what dreams are made of. This is and always will be very powerful stuff. Anyone Who Had a Heart. . . Isn’t that the one the Beatles liked a lot? Later on this much too rare an occasion had to come to an end. Totally blown away by the performance, I needed to chill out there for a while in order to regain consciousness. I watched the singers mingling with their own groups of fans, the musicians packing up their instruments making small talk as the number of hangers-on in the stage area slowly dwindled down. Finally, when it was time to leave, when I opened up the exit door and stepped out onto the street, then and there I remembered what it was like back when I was a kid after the matinee at the neighborhood theater, flowing out into the mainstream daylight still abuzz from the emotional rollercoaster ride I just stepped off of. It was just like that!
Rio

Reviews and old posters

Post by Rio »

Thank you for this nice account of the concert and how you related to it.
I hope you were able to chill out with no particular sense of loss for not mingling with the singers or musicians yourself. Or even of positioning totry to meet Burt. To some people (including me, to some extent) that's very distracting and stressful. Maybe you did that before or you know him personally to some degree? Either way, it is always nice to hear these stories of the impact of a Bacharach concert. It must be such a validation of his work -- I mean, if somehow he knows that besides those who try and greet and thank him after the show, there are so many others who are also deeply touched.

I take this opportunity to thank all those who write concert reviews, covering the program and the performances as much as the impact the show had on themselves and other people. Maybe with foreign currencies being a little stronger now Burt will be back to Brazil some time soon. Or maybe he will play again with the Houston Symphony Orchestra, in which case I may just make the trip.

Since somehow I seem to be relating everything to Brazil these days, and having addressed the issue of letting Burt know how much he affects peoples lives, I wonder if some of you remember the time, maybe 10-12 years ago, when a Brazilian lad recounted, in this forum, his meeting with Burt's wife, Jane, at the lobby of a hotel here... I never read a more touching Bacharach story. I may have cried. I believe his name was Ismar. How I wish I could read that story again...

Wait. I googled Ismar and Bacharach, and see what I found: some pictures of him... Yes, because I now remember his entire name. We exchanged some messages then. He seemed soooo sad at the time. Though very young, he already knew *a lot* about old movies and wrote beautifully.
Apparently, so much sensibility can take a toll on a person:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ismartirellineto/

Kidding aside, it would be nice if he would join us, huh?