Sneak preview...

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin

Sneak preview...

Post by mark »

I've spent the last few days transferring the current site's content to run on the Word Press blogging platform. I'm hoping this will make it easier for me to update news in a timely manner and it will also have the added bonus of letting people comment on news posting as well as add their own news. Word Press also has a much more robust search function built into the platform.

I'm not crazy about the design or color scheme, but if I wait until I figure all that out the site will never get updated. Anyway, please check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.bacharachonline.com/wordpress/

All the old pages are still there, but I think what I'll eventually do is have the main index page (ie http://www.bacharachonline.com) redirect to http://www.bacharachonline.com/wordpress

PS: Manually transferring all those news entries dating back to 1995 made me realize something. I've been doing this way too long! Does anybody remember the site from back when I first started it:

http://web.archive.org/web/199705081131 ... arach.html

God. That's from, like, another lifetime...
steveo_1965

Re: Sneak preview...

Post by steveo_1965 »

The new page looks quite wonderful, Mark Thanks for that!
Also, Thanks for taking Burt into the computer age....
I remember "way back when"

Steveo
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

Question from a dummie... Mark, is this a new dimension being added to the forum, or is it replacing an existing dimension, putting it in a better format? I really don't easily get this stuff. Steve
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your question, Steve, but the change to WordPress isn't going to affect this board at all.

This discussion forum runs on its own software platform (ie phpBB) separate from the rest of the pages that make up bacharachonline.com. Currently, when you go to bacharachonline.com, there's a link in the left hand column that says "Discussion Forum" that leads to this page. When the move to WordPress goes live, there will be a link to this page on the right hand side under the heading Bacharach Info.

Currently, I'm using a design I came up with on my own something like eight years ago. I really don't remember when I did it, but I'm not a graphic designer and it shows. Everytime I want to update a page, I need to open the page in an HTML editor, make the change, and then upload the change to my web server. It's kind of a laborious process and it's one of the reasons I sometimes go for months without updating the main page with Bacharach news.

By turning the front page of the site (bacharachonline.com) into a blog-like page, I can update the site directly from Firefox without having to worry about HTML editors or FTPing files to my server. All in all, I think it's a cleaner, more elegant system that's going to make it easier to keep things updated.

Sorry if I've confused you even more. Try browsing bacharachonline.com and then bacharachonline.com/wordpress/ and you'll see both feature the same info and sections, just in slightly different configurations.
Alvina

Post by Alvina »

Hi Mark,
Thank you so very much for posting the pictures Barbara and I took on May 11.

The new format is awesome and must have been quite an undertaking.
We all appreciate your dedication to it. It has enhanced my life and I know many others as well. I mean not just the information but the friends we have all made that are so like minded that it amazes me when I see that we are alike in many other ways as well.

Sending lots of love your way,
Alvina