So what did you think of the Bethesda show last night?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

fendertweed

So what did you think of the Bethesda show last night?

Post by fendertweed »

I was there, unfortunately my wife couldn't attend (she is moving her mother from assisted living in Ct. to Va.)...

I thought it was a wonderful show, though I could use some help on what the titles of the 2 songs done in the encore were (first one "...make it easy on yourself ...", second one ???).

I would have liked more from "Painted From Memory" (which I think is a brilliant album) and maybe more full length renditions of some of the prime chestnuts than those that were done full-length, but that's quibbling, I'm glad I got to see him and a great ensemble.

cheers,
Jon
Last edited by fendertweed on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
vincent.cole

Re: So what did you think of the Bethesda show last night?

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Jon;

The other song was; "On My "Own!" I was also @ the show. Will write something later on in the week.

What I thought about the show, it was awesome!!! Saw the Saturday show in Princeton too.

Take care;

Vincent
Last edited by vincent.cole on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fendertweed

Post by fendertweed »

I'm looking forward to hear more, Vincent, especially since you've gotten to see more than one show.

Cheers,
Jon
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Me too - Vincent! Looking forward to your review(s) of both concerts! ........ I'll share my thoughts on Dionne Warwick's performance next Saturday with the San Diego Symphony.
Ron
bonkersforburt

Post by bonkersforburt »

i like to read vincent's reviews even when i was there...it's like being there all over again! it was great fun as usual...and nice to meet vincent's friends and laura and her husband
Rio

Post by Rio »

A friend of mine wrote this:

[my nickname]

I thought of you because I saw Burt in concert last night. It was AWESOME! The best of the two concerts that I have seen with him. He still kicks asses even though he just turned 80... I was so pleased to be there.

It was in Maryland. See:
http://www.strathmore.org/eventstickets ... sp?id=3319
http://www.strathmore.org/press/pressre ... d=50029598

Hope all's well with you.

[sender's nicname]

-=-=-
I would be very interested in knowing what songs were played in full. I'm not sure my friend would know their names.
fendertweed

Post by fendertweed »

Rio wrote:1
I would be very interested in knowing what songs were played in full. I'm not sure my friend would know their names.

let's see ...
Anyone Who Had A Heart (brought the house down);
Are You Falling Out of Love;
God Give Me Strength;
Who Are These People;
Close To You (?);
Alfie (?);
That's What Friends Are For;
?? Title unknown (after A House is Not a Home);
?On My Own?
Rio

Post by Rio »

I just want to thank fendertweed, Laura and Joan NYC for helping me to share their extraordinary experiences.
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Star Date: Sunday, June 8, 2008

Place: “Music Center at Strathmore (Bethesda, MD)”

Time: 7:00 P.M.

Super Nova: Mr. Burt Bacharach

Prelude

Well, after traveling 3 ½ hours down the North East Corridor (New Jersey & Delaware) with my Burt buddies, Jeanne & Tyler, we arrived @ the beautiful Music Center at Strathmore Maryland. I must say, we had a better trip than Burt’s band members. Rob Shrock told me after the show, their bus broke down from Jersey. Well it was only for 1 ½ hours and they were on time for the concert.

Three Wheels On My Wagon

Laura’s remarks, “Burt was very well received as soon as he walked out on stage”, was a little on the mild side. Burt received a standing ovation! I have been to many concerts and this is a 1st for me, when the whole audience comes to their feet! This set the tone for Sunday’s concert! I asked one of the ushers after the show, how many people can be seated @ this wonderful theatre. She indicated, over 2000. Well I only saw 2 empty seats and they were in the 1st row to the right of the stage. I was in the 2nd row. For some reason these people did not show up!

Three Wheels On My Wagon”, Burt sang some of the lyrics from this song when he was interviewed in Japan this year. Yes, Burt Bacharach “keeps rolling along!”

The Singers & The Band Played On

Some of the vocal & instrumental highlights for me were;

Josie James sang that killer, “Any One Who Had A Heart!”

John Pagano sang, “God Give Me Strength!” In my judgment, John owns this song!

Burt and the band did, “Who Are These People!” After this song was sung, Burt very sardonically indicated that this was Scott McClellan’s favorite song! Some may ask who this person is. Well Mr. McClellan was the former White House Press Secretary, under President Bush, who wrote a tell all book about the current administration!. From what I gather, many lies & Skeletons were falling out of the closet! I guess Burt seems vindicated in writing, “Who Are These People!”

As the show neared its conclusion, Burt told the audience, that normally they just do 1 encore, but tonight they were going to do 2! I think the reception that Burt received @ the start of the program really moved him!

Donna Taylor & John Pagano did the classic, “Make It Easy On Yourself” to the delight of the audience! The 2nd song they song together was, “On My Own!” I could see that both Donna & John were having a great time with these 2 songs! Donna, told me after the performance, Burt put these 2 songs in @ the last minute!

And we can’t forget about, “Any Day Now”, with John Pagano doing the vocals of this Chuck Jackson great master piece! Then Tom Ehlen strolled on to the stage @ the 2:38 mark with that great horn sound! The audience just loved it! By the way, “Any Day Now” is on John’s new CD!

Epilogue

Well the Silver Fox (Burt) ended the program by getting everyone involved in singing, “Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head!” All in the audience stood up and applaud for a few minutes, as many fan rush to the stage to shake Burt’s hand!

There was a Reporter from the local paper who was interviewing a few of the fans. My friend Tyler sent her in my directions. Why would he want to do something like that (lol)! She asked me how I enjoyed the show. I told her it was one of best Burt Concerts that I have attended over the years! The lady Reporter is going to send me a copy of what she wrote about the concert. This will include a few comments from me. When I get this report I will share it with the members of the forum.

I forget to mention, that Burt told the audience, Dennis Wilson & Rob Shrock were getting married in 3 weeks. I guess congratulations are in order! I wonder if they both chose a Burt Bacharach & Hal David song for their wedding. I will have to ask them the next time I see them.

As always, Donna Taylor, Josie James, Rob Shrock & John Pagano greeted me after the show! I always find that to be very special!

Speaking about John Pagano, many of the fans were congratulating John on his vocal abilities! I must say, John puts himself into those classic Burt & Hal songs!

I was able to take a great photo with John & his new CD, “Pure Imagination.” Jeanne My Burt Buddy & I were promoting John’s CD @ the concert!

Ran into Laura & and her Husband Tom & Bonkerforburt. Laura gave me a package that contains brochures of some of the Burt Concerts she has attended over the years! In turned, I gave her to special Burt items.

And what can you say about, Bonkerforburt. Well she lives up to her name! What a great fan! She was the only one with her daughter to get into see Burt inside the meet & greet room. The rest of us waited about 1 hour later outside to meet & talk with Burt. I got another photo of Burt, which Mark who runs the website already posted it. Thanks Mark!

Sunday, October 5, 2008 in Utica New York is my next Burt Concert. Hope to see many of the Burt fans @ the show!

Take care;

Vincent
Laura

Post by Laura »

As Vincent mentioned, one of the "giggle" moments (as 'Joan NYC' would say) of the show, was when Burt said Dennis Wilson was getting married. Then he said Rob Shrock was getting married in 3 weeks. Then Rob shouted, "BUT NOT TO EACH OTHER!"

Vincent, my husband "Mike" enjoyed meeting you, Jeanne, Tyler, and 'bonkersforburt' after the show. I enjoyed listening to 'bonkersforburt' tell about her back-stage pass meeting with Burt. My next "double-header" week-end will be Denver-Phoenix in September!

Laura
BBFan4life

Post by BBFan4life »

Hi everyone!,

I fortunately attended Rob Shrock's wedding!

It was beautiful. Burt unfortunately could not attend, due to a family commitment, but Dionne Warwick was there! I asked her at the reception what she thought of Rob getting married? She answered, "It's like watching my own child walk down the aisle." So sweet!

The first dance was to , "This Guy's in Love." It was performed live, by half of the Burt band and half of the Dionne band. I had tears in my eyes.

Dennis Wilson and his sax also sat in on a few songs with Rob's 70's classic rock band, AM/FM. It was a blast!

Here are some pictures to share with you.

Much love to all,

Shelley
Attachments
l_d2c97530f9fc898faa81f0d39e23a525.jpg
l_d2c97530f9fc898faa81f0d39e23a525.jpg (67.29 KiB) Viewed 8594 times
l_e7e464efcc1abfb14d92739013c346e2.jpg
l_e7e464efcc1abfb14d92739013c346e2.jpg (34.59 KiB) Viewed 8599 times
l_ce2962d28c06cb581b4c8e0190b42238.jpg
l_ce2962d28c06cb581b4c8e0190b42238.jpg (40.46 KiB) Viewed 8595 times
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour BBFan4Life;

Thanks for sharing the photos of Rob @ his wedding! Of course it had to be a Burt & Hal Song!

It was also nice to see Dionne @ the wedding :D

I know Rob has been part of Dionne band since the 80's! I don't know how he handles the Burt & Dionne concerts!

Thanks again for sharing the joy!

Take care;

Vincent