Sergio Mendes does The Look of Love again

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

laetitia23

Sergio Mendes does The Look of Love again

Post by laetitia23 »

I just heard this cover with Fergie. What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs-9nxlP ... re=related
nymusicalsguy

Re: Sergio Mendes does The Look of Love again

Post by nymusicalsguy »

This cover is featured on Sergio Mendes' new CD (which also has killer guest appearances from Herb Alpert & Lani Hall) entitled ENCANTO. I was thrilled to see a Burt song leading off a new disc, and more power to Sergio for still being active today, and to Fergie, for the possibility that her performance will introduce more young people to Bacharach/David. But I do hate to see the song virtually rewritten as it is here -- if not to the extent of "Just Walk On By", the Joss Stone track off RANDY JACKSON'S MUSIC CLUB from a few months back, which turns "Walk On By" into a noisy clatter. Just my two cents' worth!

Joe
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

JOe,
Hmmmmm..I don't know.....guess I'm too old and don't like the idea of remakes...However, I must keep in mind, there's a yonger generation that's maybe never heard the "Look of Love"...this obviously can expose them to a great song. I can only say that
Sergio's original "Look of Love" was itself remake of the 1967 Dusty/Burt version, and it was spectacular!
For me, it's hard to improve on the Dusty and original Sergio versions.
BTW, for my money, the best version of Dusty's is conductor Reg Guest's version with Dusty, the Philips single that charted here in America.....

Steveo
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Sergio's "original".....as cool as a summer breeze ! 8)

"blue"
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Hey Steveo, yup, that's just it! If one young person or listener new to Burt & Hal's ouevre hears Fergie or Joss Stone performing (butchering?) "The Look of Love" or "Walk On By" and seeks out the originals, then it's all worthwhile, isn't it? I'd be curious, though, what Burt himself thinks of these covers. I do believe he commented on the White Stripes' "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" as "interesting"...I would diplomatically agree with the Maestro. :-)