Anyone think it might happen...

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

someonenameddavid

Anyone think it might happen...

Post by someonenameddavid »

Since Hal David and Burt have appeared on stage recently, what do you think the odds are they'll start writing together. Do you think that they coulod possibly meet our collective expectations. On the other hand, for the general public there are probably not many people with high expectations. Just wondering out loud.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
Bruce Bernard Williams

BB/HD/DW--Together, they make such sweet music!

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Yes, David. I believe that the appearance of them together on stage may be an indication that they will be writing together again (hopefully for Dionne) since Hal's pushing 90, Burt's pushing 80, and Dionne's pushing 70. As I've always heard, the best song has yet to be written!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I believe that the odds are zero that Burt and Hal will start writing songs together again. Of course, I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help but give an honest answer to your question.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

As far as them writing for Dionne is concerned, it seems that with her new label Warner things are happening for her again. The gospel album came out well, there is a great Brazilian album coming out in May or June and now she's in the studio with George Duke.
Blair N. Cummings

Reunion?

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

After Simon and Garfunkel but before John Cale and Lou Reed.
Seriously, I think most of us would relish a late-career project from Burt and Hal...maybe a Weill / Brechtian - style opus with Dionne`s tobacco-cured pipes providing the Lotte Lenya vibe.
But, honestly, with the cd market in its death throes and only old farts like us as a potential audience I can`t imagine anyone taking a chance on it even if the principles were game.
Besides, haven`t they done it all? Anyway (and don`t tell me this hasn`t occurred to you - or them): What if it just sucked? Let`s not be greedy.
Rio

Post by Rio »

As long as it sucks as much as this one, I'm ok with it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAHBFJEaosY
(On My Way)

Besides, as far as I'm concerned Burt could only "suck" if compared to himself and the huge expectations he inspires.
pljms

Burt and Hal

Post by pljms »

I trust they're both common sensed enough not to even consider it.
Paul
nymusicalsguy

Re: Anyone think it might happen...

Post by nymusicalsguy »

While I wouldn't hold my breath, I wouldn't think there'd be anything foolhardy about a Bacharach/David/Warwick reunion, at least for one track. Their last work together was for the ISN'T SHE GREAT? soundtrack, and while I quite liked "On My Way", its success was hardly the high note the relationship should have gone out on. If health and schedules permit, maybe we'll one day see one more collaboration from the mighty three, but if we never do, they've certainly left us quite a legacy of music nonetheless.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Regarding "On My Way": I thought it was a great pop song. Hal and Burt were on Entertainment Tonight at that time and Hal said, "It's a hit!" I believe he thought (as I did) that "On My Way" was going to be a hit song. I would imagine that Burt and Hal (and Dionne, of course) were very dismayed that they didn't get a hit with that song.

Now here's what I think: I think Burt is giving his songs to the wrong singers. No one loved Dionne's voice more than I. But Dionne, unfortunately, can no longer deliver a hit song. Burt needs to get his new songs to new singers -- such as Beyonce, Maria, Christina, etc. Ne-Yo is writing hit after hit (for himself and many others). And his songs certainly are no catchier than Burt's. In fact, a song such as "So Sad" or "Let Me Love You" (sung by Mario) is in the Bacharach mold. I'd even venture to say that (theoretically speaking, of course) if Burt wrote another catchy pop song and gave it to Ne-Yo to produce, he'd have another #1 hit. But Burt certainly won't hit the Top 40 with singers like Elvis Costello or Rufus Wainwright.
Peter Greenhill

Post by Peter Greenhill »

Hal David is not too far short of 90 yeaears of age. Does he want to write lyrics?

Probably not.

Bacharach should compose with Tim Rice or Don Black.

If the collaboration doesn't produce a hit?

So what. We fans will love it

Pete