Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

"Where Did It Go?"

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

An Enormous BB Fan

"What Can I Do?" sung by Irma Thomas

This is not on youtube, but I'm putting it here anyhow for future reference.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=33264651
An Enormous BB Fan

The great Pearl Bailey singing "Wives and Lovers"

Here's the great Pearlie Mae, one of the greatest entertainers ever!

An Enormous BB Fan

"What's In Goodbye" sung by Will Young

Will Young, winner of Britain's "Pop Idol" (America's "American Idol" was based on that I think), sings Burt's "What's In Goodbye". I don't know who wrote the lyric, sorry. I would consider this a "rare" Burt song. And the quality isn't too good, but this is the only version I could find.

BachtoBacharach

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Post by BachtoBacharach »

This explains why all Dionne videos have been removed. Dionne, Burt and Hal shared the rights to all Dionne Warwick recordings produced by and for Burt and Hal's production company, Blue/Jac as a result of a $5 million settlement Dionne received in 1979 from a 1975 Breach of Contract lawsuit against Burt and Hal. Those rights were administered by Warner Special Products for the three holders beginning in 1979. In 1992, Dionne sold her rights to the Warner Group for an undisclosed sum. It is my understanding that Burt and Hal still retain their rights to the recordings which are now shared with Warner. The rest of the story can be found below.

Warner Music pulls videos from YouTube

Yinka Adegoke
AFP

Monday, December 22, 2008

NEW YORK - Warner Music Group ordered YouTube on Saturday to remove all music videos by its artists from the popular online video-sharing site after contract negotiations broke down.

The order could affect hundreds of thousands of videos clips, as it covers Warner Music's recorded artists as well as the rights for songs published by its Warner/Chappell unit, which includes many artists not signed to Warner Music record labels.

The talks fell apart early on Saturday because Warner wants a bigger share of the huge revenue potential of YouTube's massive visitor traffic. There were no reports on what Warner was seeking.

"We simply cannot accept terms that fail to appropriately and fairly compensate recording artists, songwriters, labels and publishers for the value they provide," Warner said in a statement.

YouTube is hugely popular, with more than 100 million viewers in the United States alone in October, according to comScore, a Web audience measurement firm.

Warner Music, home to artists including Red Hot Chili Peppers and rapper T.I., was the first major media company to negotiate a deal with YouTube in 2006. Its executives believe that deal gave the site legitimacy in the eyes of search giant Google Inc which bought it soon after for $1.65 billion.

As part of the original 2006 negotiation, Warner, Universal Music and Sony Music all took small stakes in YouTube pre-acquisition and profited when the Google acquisition closed.

The music companies typically get paid a share of any advertising revenue associated with the video and a per-play payment for every video viewed. The per-play fee is usually a fraction of a penny and with millions visiting YouTube everyday it was all expected to add up to a substantial amount.

But a source familiar with Warner Music's talks said the amounts it has been receiving from YouTube were "staggeringly low".

YouTube representatives did not immediately return calls for comment.

YouTube executives have spent most of 2008 stepping up efforts to develop revenue streams on the site partly in a bid to keep content partners happy. It has been in long negotiations with Warner on how best to split revenues until things came to a head in talks on Friday.

"Despite our constant efforts, it isn't always possible to maintain their innovative agreements," YouTube said in a statement on its blog about difficulties of music licensing. "Sometimes, if we can't reach acceptable business terms, we must part ways with successful partners."

YouTube also has agreements with Vivendi's (VIV.PA) Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment and EMI Music. Warner's move could see them also making tough demands for higher fees.

The demands could leave YouTube in a difficult position as it tries to balance the need to pay a reasonable fee to content partners, including TV and movie companies, and also generate enough return on the substantial investment needed to keep streaming millions of videos around the world.

© Canwest News Service 2008
An Enormous BB Fan

Wow! What a horror! Thank you so much, BachtoBacharach, for posting this information here. It certainly explains the situation. But what I find very disturbing is that if Warner and youtube ever do come to terms, I can't believe that dibotis, or people like him, will take the time to upload everything all over again. It certainly would be asking too much of these people, I'm sure. dibotis's channel was really historical, as I see it, and the loss of that channel is just devastating to anyone who cares about this historical record of Dionne, Burt and Hal, and all that they accomplished.

Well, now we know the sad story behind the removal of these videos. I still can't believe that Dionne, Burt or Hal would be happy about this. I could be wrong. They may look at the situation and think that they are getting cheated out of money. I'd really love to know what they think though.
BachtoBacharach

Rare 1967 Burt and Dionne TV Clip

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Dibotis has posted a clip of Burt and Dionne performing Alfie and What the World Needs Now from 1967 on You Tube. I have seen this clip before on YouTube but it vanished a while back. Don't know how long it will be up before someone dispute the copyright on it so look while you can. It's pretty awesome.

Rio

Post by Rio »

After 0:50.
Because of what Jerry Butler says before singing Make It Easy On Yourself.

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

A song Desmond wrote with Burt in 1991.....

"blue"
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

A "Must Have" !!!!!!!!!

"blue"
An Enormous BB Fan

Raindrops keep falling on my HAT?

A Burt/Hal medley

Rio

Post by Rio »

There was a video on YouTube that showed, as sequence to this Bette Midler video (part of a BB Special),
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XkTfOMDINQ
Burt playing Beethoven with an orchestra. Does anyone recall this? Are you able to find it on YouTube?
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Mr & Mrs Burt Bacharach's ????? :? lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEDOAGhVyhQ

"blue"
An Enormous BB Fan

Rio wrote:After 0:50.
Because of what Jerry Butler says before singing Make It Easy On Yourself.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=uyuZFPRtR ... re=related
Yes, the above link is great... and Jerry Butler knew a long time ago how great Burt (and Hal) really were.

Here's the same Jerry Butler -- many years later -- singing the same song -- and so beautifully. This is one of the great songs of all time sung by one of the greatest soul singers. Burt knew how great Jerry Butler was. Watching this video brings tears to my eyes -- the music is just so uplifting and inspiring. The audience just starts clapping spontaneously in the middle. It doesn't get any better than this -- especially when the violins come in and the ladies start singing in the background. And, of course, Jerry Butler's great voice. Enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbtY4eKQ ... re=related
An Enormous BB Fan

The legendary Sammy Davis, Jr.

Watch and listen to Sammy do a cool swinging version of "This Guy's In Love With You". Did anyone ever enjoy singing a song as much as it seems Sammy is doing here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4SE1MZV7Do