Great versions of the "Painted From Memory" CD

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Great versions of the "Painted From Memory" CD

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I just came across this site. If you loved the "Painted From Memory" songs, you might enjoy these versions.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... ngid=75978
Sara D

Re: Great versions of the "Painted From Memory" CD

Post by Sara D »

The album is of course Bill Frisell's 'The Sweetest Punch - The songs of Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach'. I should imagine quite a few Bacharach fanatics who wouldn't normally be seen anywhere near a Bill Frisell CD bought this when it came out (I remember it being released in the UK on the same day as 'Painted From Memory'). I thought it complimented the original album very nicely, although It helps, though, if like me you're a jazz fan.
pljms

Re: Great versions of the "Painted From Memory" CD

Post by pljms »

It was a very original idea of Elvis Costello to invite the jazz guitarist Bill Frisell to record his versions of the PFM songs at the same as he and BB were recording their album. Apparently Bill Frisell was given simple melody/chord lead sheets and some very basic Costello demos of each song and told to do what he wanted. The results were nothing less than fascinating and there were a couple of Frisell's versions that I actually preferred to the originals.
Paul