Neil Simon-Burt Bacharach Songs

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Neil Simon-Burt Bacharach Songs

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

BachtoBacharach wrote:During the early days of Burt/Hal/Dionne, Burt would actually take acetate copies of the demos around to various record companies. Etc....
Thanks for the explanation, BachtoBacharach.

Question: If Burt did own the masters, then does he have them?

Also... regarding the backing tracks: In those days, when a record was made, didn't Dionne sing live with the orchestra? That is, the orchestra didn't record their part first and then Dionne would come in and sing later, right? If this is so, then when did the orchestra just play their part?
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Yes, Dionne did record live with orchestra during the 60s and 70s. Scepter, Bell Sound and A & R used 4 and 8 channel recording techniques which allowed the vocalist to be recorded on one channel or track while other sections of the orchestra and backing vocalists recorded on the remaining tracks. These were then mixed together. A mix without the main vocalist was able to be achieved. That is why the vocalist is usually isolated by partitions.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

BachtoBacharach wrote:Yes, Dionne did record live with orchestra during the 60s and 70s. Scepter, Bell Sound and A & R used 4 and 8 channel recording techniques which allowed the vocalist to be recorded on one channel or track while other sections of the orchestra and backing vocalists recorded on the remaining tracks. These were then mixed together. A mix without the main vocalist was able to be achieved. That is why the vocalist is usually isolated by partitions.
Oh, I see. That explains why the singer is all alone in a booth. I would think that the glass booth wouldn't prevent the singer's voice from being picked up by the mikes in the studio. I guess not. Thanks for the explanation, BachtoBacharach.