Bacharach, David and Warwick – three strikes against the Roc

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

ron hertel

Re: Bacharach, David and Warwick – three strikes against the

Post by ron hertel »

Well Blair - I'm convinced we are pretty much in agreement except for the fact that I have expanded my musical tastes due to my exposure to other artists including Adele, Jason Mraz, Alicia Keys and John Mayer appearing on various "tacky television shows* .... Even old timers like Tony Bennett who I never really appreciated until I was exposed to him on television have become favorites. ..... In terms of "losing sleep over their exclusion" - I can only say that Dionne appears to relish the recognition. She often makes appearances accepting honors and awards for her artistic and charitable contributions which are richly deserved. When frequently asked what she'd like to accomplish in the coming years - she repeatedly responds with a "Tony", an "Emmy" and an "Oscar". Maybe I'm out of touch - but I've always enjoyed the format of the Kennedy Center annual program and would love to see Burt, Hal and Dionne celebrated on that show while all three of them remain vital!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I don't think that the Kennedy Center Honors is pointless at all. I think it's a wonderful award and a wonderful acknowledgement of one's place of prominence in the arts in America. The President and First Lady are in attendance. It's broadcast to the nation during prime time. The past honorees are a "who's who" of American artists. Burt Bacharach deserves this honor, plain and simple. It's a total disrepect of Burt's contribution to American music not to include him. His omission just screams out at you.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

I think Hal David is actually on the Kennedy Center Honors board, which might get in the way of him and Burt being recognized. And Dionne has performed a couple of times on the show most notably for Lena Horne. So they clearly do care about the event.

Another blatant absentee from the RRHOF is Glen Cambell.