Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Post by Steve Schenck »

I'd never heard that song before but, boy are you right! It sounds like a Burt original. I'll bet he author was imitating Burt's style - the strong rhythmic feel, the chord progressions, the jumping intervals in the melody line, the use of the fluegel horn - pure Bacharach! Thanks for posting it.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

The composer Artie Butler came out of the Brill Building, too. He worked mainly for Leiber and Stoller as an arranger and Dionne apparently met him at her first recording session as a backround singer. Later he was nominated for a Grammy for his arrangement on Dionne's "I Know I'll Never Love This Way Again". He is also the composer of Shirley Horne's great, great song "Here's To Life", recently covered by Streisand.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Artie Butler also co-wrote, "I Didn't Mean To Love You", which Dionne Warwick recorded as an obscure 45 rpm (remember those?). As an arranger-conductor, he did a great arrangement for Mark Lindsay's version of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" and a super wonderful version of "Close to You" for Ken Berry (my favorite of the many versions out there).
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

Hey, gang - I think this may have posted here before, but maybe not. It's a Burt song, recently done by (and written for, I believe) Karima Ammar - an up and coming singer in Italy. This is a clip from a live performance with Burt at the piano. I think her voice is terrific and Burt looks great.

Roberto Pinardi

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

Roberto Pinardi

The best....

INCREDIBLE!

Bye
Ciao
Roberto
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Dear Roberto,

Thanks for posting!

The orchestration of this show in Italy in 1973, is basically the same as that recorded on the LP/CD "Close To You" below:

Another orchestration of "Wives and Lovers" was very nice that the show "One Amazing Night " in 1998, with special guest David Sanborn & George Duke. (available on DVD and CD):

25 years between the two orchestrations, but both incredibly similar and wonderful!

Best regards,

Djalma Jr
Last edited by Djalma Junior on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Roberto;

Thanks for that wonderful segment of Burt in Italy in 1973. Would love to see the whole show one day!!!

Take care;

Vincent
Roberto Pinardi

great mix

Thanks Rb Pass.

ciao
Roberto
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Seems like Burt Bacharach has a great sense of humor! Watch for him (with mustache) leading the band at the end of this Jack Jones & Sandy Duncan duet from, "Lost Horizon":

Roberto Pinardi

Lost Horizon maine title

Apollo Brown, music producer used this song as his intro for his instrumental album Clouds

Bye
Roberto
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

"Come Touch The Sun".... with lyrics............beautiful !!!

"blue"
Rio

Post by Rio »

So you are writing a book about Burt and want something new to say. Maybe unimportant, but new. Maybe you want a trivia question about Burt that not even you would have been expected to know.

Starting at 6:26, you read that legendary Brazilian F-1 driver and a woman for whom he is said, in this biography, to have nourished very strong feelings for years, had a theme song. On My Own.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that they spent so much time apart from each other. Or maybe it was just about the music. I don't suppose it really matters.
Rio

Post by Rio »

at the end, you hear:

"You don't know what this car is capable of."
pljms

Post by pljms »

My favourite recent version of 'The Look of Love' is by Saskia & Serge and is from the 4-CD Box-set 'Simply the Songs of Burt Bacharach'. It illustrates perfectly how important it is to stick to Bacharach's original chord sequence for this classic song, especially for the first line of the chorus, "I can hardly wait to hold you......" and the Major 7th chord (B Flat Major 7th for this version). Why arrangers like Joel McNeely, who's responsible for the arrangement for Ronan Keating's recording of the song, choose to use the straight major chord instead just doesn't make any musical sense and robs the song of a lot of its magic. Here's the sublime recording by Saskia and Serge:

Paul