Let's Hear It For The Boys!

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

KeithBurke

Let's Hear It For The Boys!

Post by KeithBurke »

Sorry.
Last edited by KeithBurke on Fri May 19, 2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Thanks for these, Keith - always good to hear "new" Bacharach music!
Alistair
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

I'd never heard "How Does a Man Become a Puppet" before. Let's just say I think I prefer the instrumental. The words and music are a strained marriage at best.

And Ed Ames actually sounds a bit like Scott Walker in some of his more recent recordings, which is to say strange.

Thanks for posting these rarities.
marina

Post by marina »

Marcel

great songs!

Post by Marcel »

Thanks for these (few) great songs!
How does a man become a puppet is the vocal version of Burt`s instrumental version of She`s gone Away.
Obsession is a very brilliant song!
However I took my strenght from you is a very bad (maybe worst) version done by a guy who is called sylverster? (VERY BAD!)
Pitty that Charlie is a little bit of bad quality.

Kind regards Marcel :D
Steve Schenck

How does a man become a puppet...

Post by Steve Schenck »

I never heard this vocal till keith put it up here. But I immediately recognized the verse as "She's Gone Away," the beautiful instrumental from the Make It Easy on Yourself album of '69 or '70. I notice that the Ed Ames vocal is dated as 1970. I wonder, did Burt and Hal do that often - take one song done as an instrumental, and then change the name and put lyrics to it for someone or something else? I think I prefer the instrumental version; the vocal required a refrain or chorus which doesn't fit as nicely as the one on the instrumental version, "She's Gone Away."
Blair N. Cummings

Instrumentals to vocals

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

You`re obviously among the many fortunate who have never heard Where There`s a Heartache(There Must Be a Heart) a wholly unnecessary desecration of Come Touch the Sun which may also have been recorded by Ames.