Cerritos Concert Report

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Andre B

Cerritos Concert Report

Post by Andre B »

My girlfriend and I attended the Burt show in Cerritos, CA (about 40 minutes SE of Los Angeles) Sunday afternoon. The concert was held at the Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts, a venue that accomodates a couple of thousand people.

Burt and his 10-piece band played to a full house. He was great, as usual. Opened the show with a brief "What the World Needs Now" overture, spoke for a few minutes, then did "Don't Make Me Over" followed by a string of other familiar hits.

About halfway into the show, he did four songs from At This Time: "Where Did It Go?" (which he sang, as on the album), "Go Ask Shakespeare" (sung by John Pagano), "Who Are These People?", and "Always Taking Aim." He introduced the songs by talking about the genesis of the album in the wake of 9/11 and the wars that have taken place since, and the deep concern he has for the world his young children will be inheriting. He mentioned a cartoon he'd seen in the LA Times depicting an old, sad soldier, and the caption "Old soldiers never die, they just get another tour of duty in Iraq." This brought a shout of "God bless our troops" from a member of the audience, which Burt heartily agreed with, and then noted that the 2500 - 5000 marine reservists who have just been called back to active duty against their wishes weren't thrilled about it. A few couples walked out during "Who Are These People?" but the vast majority of the audience (again, a couple thousand people) stayed and applauded. I saw a lot of people in nearby seats, people in their 50's and 60's, who were clearly enthusiastic about the songs.

Burt next told eveyone to see the Al Gore global warming film, then made a comment about "getting a little heavy" for a Sunday afternoon and launched into a medley of his own movie hits, beginning with "The Look of Love".

He ended the show with (if I recall the order correctly) "Any Day Now," "Close to You," "Alfie" and an audience sing-along of "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head."

We waited by the stage door after the show with a dozen or so other fans. Burt posed for photos, answered questions, and signed autographs with his usual grace and charm. Talking about the songs from "At This Time" he said he felt a little like he was in of enemy territory (Cerritos is in the heart of Republican-dominated Orange County) but it seemed to me that the vast majority of the audience gave those songs a very positive reception, more than just polite applause. And a lot of people were buying the CD after the concert.

All in all, a great afternoon with The Man. My only regret: I forgot to ask him about his recent collaboration with Brian Wilson!
MissYvonne

Post by MissYvonne »

Thanks for the great report about the concert. Makes me a little anxious (for Burt) about the Houston concerts. I realize that OC is very Republican, but the greater Houston area is also very specifically pro Bush.
I guess we'll see what happens...
SEM

Post by SEM »

I have been thinking about Burt's reception in Houston as well. We are deep in Bush country here. (but.....Kinky for Governer though-why the hell not!!) I voted for W, know his family (yes-his mom and dad-brothers too) but that doesn't mean I don't love-ADORE At This Time. I am wondering how the rest of the croud will react though. Will everyone just be expecting "Alfie" (my very alltime forever favorite) and "Raindrops" (first song i ever knew the words to)? I can't wait to hear "Always Taking Aim". This song has become a new classic to me. Just love it. I believe it would breakmy heart more than Burt's if people got up and walked out. I truly love ATT-each and every song.

Not to be petty, but on that note, did anyone else notice that on Huffington's blog, Burt got the words a little wrong? How dare I say he got them wrong! But the words on the blog are different than the words in the song. But-as always, at least to me-flawless. Maybe that is what he waned to write in the first place?

I can not wait until the first weekend in October!!!!!