Help: Simple Gifts (for a wedding)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Rio

Help: Simple Gifts (for a wedding)

Post by Rio »

Ok, this is definitely off topic. It is not about Bacharach and his work, but about Bacharach fans helping each other on a music-related theme...

I am getting married in less than two weeks and would like my fiancee to listen to Simple Gifts, the Shaker hymn (some say it is actually a dance song) Aaron Copland included in his Appalachian Springs. But I lent the CD in which I had it (plus other American folk songs, all arranged and conducted by Copland) to my father who can't find it now.

Would anyone let me know how to proceed in order to make a nice rendition of the song available to my ficancee (who is a musician and will have friends of hers playing at church)? There is a rehearsal this Tuesday evening and then the final one the following Tuesday. I sent her the basic, original music chart together with a link to a 1 min clip, both from Wikipedia (the clip I reached through the second "External link" offered in that site), but that's not good enough. I would like one of Copland's versions, a more operatic version, or any other more solemn version. Just so you know, we have a chorus and a lead singer, but they don't have to participate always, of course. Especially if there's little time for rehearsals.

(I wish I were more knowledgeable about internet downloads, but all I know I learned here, and it involved youtube and yousend it...)

I live south of the Equator, so it would be too time consuming to order a CD from abroad now.

I thank you very much for your patience!...
Joan NYC

Post by Joan NYC »

Hello Rio,

ITunes has what you're looking for. Search for simple gifts and it pops right up. It's from the album Copland Conducts Copland - Fanfare for the Common Man, Appalachian Spring (Expanded Edition). There are several other versions listed as well. You can download the song for 99 cents. Good luck, and congratulations on your wedding!
Rio

Post by Rio »

It seemed like both iTunes and Wal-Mart wouldn't work with a Brazilian address for the credit card. Maybe I am wrong, but then there's the additional issue that to transfer file isn't the most straightforward thing with these two, so I joined eMusic and, though they don't have what I was loooking for originally, it will have to do.
Thank you very much for your active interest and for the wishes!