NEW MUSIC FROM AN OLD FRIEND...

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nymusicalsguy

NEW MUSIC FROM AN OLD FRIEND...

Post by nymusicalsguy »

So has everybody run, not walked, to Target for Burt's 2 new recordings this morning? Some initial thoughts...it's hard for me to hear a lot of Bacharach influence in "What Love Can Do", co-penned and performed by Brian Wilson. It seems as if Burt has deliberately ceded to Wilson's style (which BW admits was, in turn, influenced by Burt), and the track is orchestrated and performed by Brian's band, with Burt on piano. It's filled with the honking and clip-clopping that are Wilson hallmarks, not to mention breathtaking harmonies from the get-go. (The PET SOUNDS vibe only briefly disappears for a more modern guitar solo courtesy of Ted Perlman.) The melody is gently loping and wonderfully yearning, and Burt's melodic style is most evident (to these ears, at least) in the verses with their delicious, quirky chords. It's a real winner that grows on me with each listen, and I really hope their other collaborations (I believe there are 2 others in the can, if I recall) see the light of day soon.

Burt returns with the slow-burn "I Still Remember", written with Tonio K and John Pagano, who also provides lead vocals. This one starts with a tension reminiscent of "God Give Me Strength" (and sounds a bit like Carole King's "Snow Queen", ironic since King is another participant on this terrific disc). Burt co-produces this one with Perlman and wrote the orchestration, and Pagano turns in a memorable vocal to complement the mature, dark orchestration. (Would that Burt would produce an entire disc for him!) This track is a bit more reflective and subtle than "What Love Can Do", but I'm sure its rewards will prove just as ample with a few more listens. It's definitely in the PAINTED FROM MEMORY vein, and Lew Soloff turns in a very 1960s-style trumpet solo near the track's end.

In short, I can't imagine any Burt fan would be disappointed with this offering, which also includes Burt & Peabo Bryson's take on "Alfie" which begins with a wonderful piano solo from Burt (and kicks off the entire album).

Enjoy!

Joe
vincent.cole

Reply: nymusicalguy

Post by vincent.cole »

:D Bonjour nymusicalsguy;

Thanks for your excellent review! 8)

I will be picking up my copy on Wednesday of this week.
Take care;

Vincent
KeithBurke

Pagano Play List

Post by KeithBurke »

Joe-
In this contributor’s humble opinion your assessment of New Music is “right onâ€￾ Target (pun intended). Your idea of a Bacharach produced and written John Pagano CD is just... brilliant! Since Pagano seems to be the interrupter of choice these days.
I love the idea of 4 ‘classics’ (Wives and Lovers, A House Is Not A Home, This Guy’s In Love and Any Day Now). 4 covers (After All. What Love Can Do, I’ve Got My Mind Made Up and Us) Leaving room for 4 new songs. That’s just my idea for a play list. I , for one, would love to hear other Forum members ideas of their perfect Pagano play list.

A House Is Not A Home (‘06)/John Pagano:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 9A148D8698
blueonblue

John Pagano

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Keith,
How about John covering the entire "Painted From Memory" album ???

"Blue"
blueonblue

John Pagano

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Everyone,
With no disrespect to Elvis, it would be great to hear to John Pagano's
interpretations of these brilliant Bacharach / Costello compositions,
...wonderful singer !!!

"Blue"
PS
Trijnte Oosterhuis does a beautiful version of "This House Is Empty Now"
it seems a shame that so few artist's have "covered the "Painted From..."
material ?....
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

"I've Got My Mind Made Up" is a GREAT choice, Keith. As are any of the PAINTED FROM MEMORY compositions. Now if only Burt could convince Dionne to do one last reunion album, on which they would tackle one of his joint compositions with Costello...
KeithBurke

Pagano

Post by KeithBurke »

Joe-
"Hear Hear" on the Dionne sung Painted From Memory. From the first time I ever heard that CD (hard to believe it's been 9 years ago) I longed to hear Miss Warwick's versions of those remarkable tunes. I understand why Burt choose Elvis Costello (besides the obvious) but just the idea of Dionne singing them is sublime. But nooooooooooooo we just get hip hop readings of her 'classics' (What The World Doesn't Need comes to mind).
I think Mr. Pagano could just about wrap his vocal cords around any Bacharach song and create magic. I've always been surprised more vocalists (of any gender) didn't tackle the PFM selections. Perhaps... Someday.
-K-
Last edited by KeithBurke on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KeithBurke

Post by KeithBurke »

Old Music From Some New Friends

A House Is Not A Home “duetâ€￾ (‘07) John Pagano and Trijntje Oosterhuis:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 7255281047