My old paper(At This Time)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Roberto Pinardi

My old paper(At This Time)

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

The strange thing about the return, or better the reunion with his fans, of Burt Bacharach is the hullabaloo generated by the Master's anti-White-House declaration. Yet siding with the weak has always been one of his landmarks, if we think of songs created with Hal David, Carole Bayer Sager, John Bettis, Tonio K. Some songs written with all these lyricists are a real manifesto that speaks of solidarity and respect for others, already with "Windows of the World" in 1965. Burt recalls this lyric during his concerts today; it was written with Hal David in the "dramatic moments during the Vietnam war". So much material that I hope the legendary couple Robert Passera and Vanni "W. Paul" Parmigiani will put together in a nice collection sooner or later... And what about the latest Lp (cd)? A masterpiece where the great Burt does not abandon the musical themes of the '70s (Lost Horizon, Futures, Together?, Woman), indeed he makes them bigger thus reaching the top of his career as a composer. At the age of 80 and after about 26 years from his last "solo" record, Bacharach is fresher than he was at 50, with a stronger determination to be listened to, and for the first time he has written the text of his own songs. They are not easy lyrics, quotations abound and so does musical homage to the great musicians that have always inspired his genius. My personal recommendation: if you like music, listen to "At this time"; if, on the other hand, you usually attend events of some politically sided rock star, well, forget it. But if you like risking, you will meet the most learned Bacharach, the one that has written songs like Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head or I'll Never Fall In Love Again to mention just two. "At This Time" is released in Italy in double face format (Cd/Dvd) on October 28, 2005.

Roberto Pinardi

English version by Oliviero Bonalumi

Visit:
http://www.mondoez.com/main.asp

Bye
Roberto