Emmylou Harris covers Burt

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bill Minnick

Emmylou Harris covers Burt

Post by Bill Minnick »

Keith Burke's friend Bruce just emailed me the link for a recording of "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" by Emmylou Harris. Bruce included the following note.

For the Bacharach Forum and collectors. Keith had (I believe) asked me about this one. It's one of the lesser known Bacharach covers as I don't know if it's in the Bacharach "Bible" or not. It's from Emmylou's "unacknowledged" very first album circa 1969-1970 depending on what you read. This is a vinyl transcription cleaned up as much as I can possibly do it without destroying it.

In memory of Keith...

Bruce

Here's the link:

http://download.yousendit.com/4C654D7A7CD6BEAD
blueonblue

EMMYLOU HARRIS

Post by blueonblue »

Thank you Bruce and Bill,
This is a beautiful rendition of a wonderful song and my goodness, this
lady can really sing.................heartbreaking !!!

"Blue"

God Bless You Keith.
bossaroo

i missed this

Post by bossaroo »

can someone please post this link again???

thanks so much.
Bill Minnick

Post by Bill Minnick »

bossaroo

Post by bossaroo »

thanks Bill. it's lovely.

i've never heard her sound like this. very proper and almost melodramatic. it's great!

so she cut this BEFORE she went country with Gram Parsons in '72 or so?
wow. it's a revelation really.

thanks again!
Bill Minnick

Post by Bill Minnick »

Bossaroo and anyone else who may be interested, Keith Burke's friend Bruce, who tweaked the Emmylou recording and many other Burt-related recordings that many of us have been lucky to enjoy via this site, read the entries for this post and emailed me the following.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliding_Bird

Well, I'm glad some are enjoying it. Above is the link to the album on "wiki". It's one of the few that carry the original album cover art. Emmy was part of the "folkie" movement when this was recorded and produced by her first husband Tom Slocum. It predates her involvement with Gram Parsons by about 2 1/2 to 3 years.

If you understand her, Emmy has always had this voice that made you feel every note she chose to sing. Still does and at the age of 60 now is still going strong.

I personally didn't discover her until I heard her singing backup on a track on Bob Dylan's album "Desire" uncredited of course. So I had to ask around to find out who this woman was. Her first album for Reprise "Pieces of the Sky" had just been released. Bought it, brought it home and was thoroughly blown away by this woman's ability to make me like country music even though she often veered away from tradional country arrangements on many tracks. Some 32 years later the fascination with all Emmy chooses to do is still as strong as ever.

B.
bossaroo

Post by bossaroo »

thanks for the info...!

any way to get the rest of this album?
I'd really like to hear the Dylan cut... interesting that there are so many originals on there, too. She didn't really go back to writing until just recently. thanks again.
Bill Minnick

Post by Bill Minnick »

Hello again, Bossaroo. I may be able to help you with your request next week sometime. Please feel free to email me on Monday at bminnick@pahouse.net.