Burt's Divas

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

steveo_1965

Burt's Divas

Post by steveo_1965 »

I can fully appreciate Burt's diva Dionne Warwick..she is the heart and soul of the Bacharach sound...and I love her...but on this song there is , and will only be one vocalist for me...JAckie DeShannon...
Groove on her performance, a rare live vocal( or mimed from a recorded performance) on Shindig, the old 1960's teenage dance show.
its the arrangement (those low octaves and voicings on the piano, the baritone horn solo.etc.and JAckie's intense version of it I love so well...
this version has been altered a bit with no strings, but has the wonderful blossoms vocal group behind her and 3 added male voices.. the tambre of her voice gives me chills down my spine..listen to her sing the word love on "love sweet LOVE"
right where the highlighted word is here.

Steveo
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Wonderful clip, Steve! Here's a link to a brief but wonderful arrangement of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" (intertwined with "All You Need Is Love" & "When I Fall In Love"!) performed by Jackie with none other than Andy Williams!

And moving from video to audio, here's a performance by a very early Burt Diva -- Connie Stevens, with her rare 1961 "And This Is Mine". Enjoy!

http://download.yousendit.com/96088CC82A0C9688

All best,

Joe
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Hey Joe,

Thanks for all the groovy clips! : )

On the Deshannon/A.Williams Love medley, the musical director/arranger starts her off in an uncharacteristically(where's the spell check on this word? lol) low key, for the benefit of Andy who sings a counterline with her and a bit of "When I fall in Love"(Victor Young)...yet she still sounds wonderful!
A short, but sweet medley!

Connie Stevens has a very sexy voice...and does a nice job on this "B" side to one of her early 60's WB singles, arranged by the great Neal Hefti.
This song has a section thats about as close to the standard "turnaround" progression as Burt is going to get. lol Also, notice the trill in the strings, probably copied by Mr. Hefti off of the Burt demo for this song, be it on a lead sheet or a disc...
As Richard Carpenter said in the Great Performances Burt special...a lot of
the backround figures to Burt's songs are "integral" and as important as the melody...in other words...these little musical lines and ideas are unique and intertwined with the melody, so that both become equally important to each other.

Steveo
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Two things:

1) If Burt had only written songs like "This Is Mine" (and thank you for making it available!), he never would have turned into the genius Burt Bacharach that all the world knows, if you know what I mean. I believe that he had the greatness in him, but he couldn't show it until he had the control over his output finally given to him by Florence Greenberg. Just my hunch. But none of Burt's musical genius is in this song.

2) For me, too, Jackie DeShannon's version of "What The World Needs Now" is the definitive one. In my case, that's because I remember the very first time I heard the song (didn't know it was Burt's), and was FLOORED by it! And that initial experience of that song, that singer, that arrangement and that time has stuck with me to this day. That version is in my bones and I still get a chill when I hear the opening notes alone!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Enormous, I know what you mean about the world needs now arrangement being in your bones..ditto!