Two Hour Honeymoon

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bill Minnick

Two Hour Honeymoon

Post by Bill Minnick »

I just uploaded this for a friend and thought I'd offer the link to anyone else who might like to check out Paul Hampton doing the Bacharach obscurity "Two Hour Honeymoon," a remarkable curiosity, if ever there was one. I think Keith Burke may have uploaded it once before. Burt came up with some truly sublime jazz chops for the record, which I'd love to hear him talk about someday. The song itself...well, it's rather campy, to say the least. Still, to my way of thinking, the accompanying music makes it a must-have. Would love to get some feedback on it.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/WFJWd ... NEkwTVE9PQ
Steve Schenck

2 hour honeymoon...

Post by Steve Schenck »

Wow! What a find! The voice over sounds corny by today's tastes, but you are right, listening to that underscoring is a definite treat! Already at such an early point in his career, he could evidence such jazzy sophistication. I'd like to know whether the music came first and words were written to go over it, or the words came first and the music was written by Burt in response to the text... Maybe we'll never know.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

the "Teenage Death Craze" song was popular from about 1960 to, well, up until the time of the Beatles in early '1964...
There was Teen Angel by Mark Dining...Lass Kiss by J. Frank Wilson,
Moody River by Pat Boone, Laurie by Dickie Lee,etc...
This was a slightly different approach to that genre, having a jazz instrumental backround, and Paul Hampton reciting to it almost like a"Beat Generation" record...
Fun to listen to...

Steveo
scotsgreg

Two Hour Honeymoon

Post by scotsgreg »

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I think that might be the earliest track of Bacharach's I've heard that truly begins to suggest his future distinctive style as a composer. It's a shame there's not an instrumental track available without the creepy campy voiceover.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

lol scottsgreg...i agree!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

OMG! This is the strangest, creepiest, oddball (SONG??? this is hardly a song!!) record I ever heard! At first I thought I clicked on some joke link accidentally.

But the music is GREAT!! Burt loved to go to 52nd Street and listen to the jazz in the 50's. He talks about it. Burt never lost that great feeling for jazz either, IMHO. And it's very evident in this music.

What a rarity this is! We Burtophiles do thank you!
Bill Minnick

Post by Bill Minnick »

You're welcome, Enormous. It is terrific music, and perhaps somewhat stereotypical of the jazz Burt was attuned to in his younger years. The "song" word choice, incidentally, was used reluctantly. However, I didn't want to say the record itself was campy or a novelty or whatever since I wanted people to check it out. Truthfully though, "novelty record" is probably the most accurate description in this case. Indeed, I wonder why it hasn't been included yet on some kind of novelty record compilation CD. I think I would probably purchase such a CD just for that "song."

Of course, quotation marks was all that was needed! D'oh. (LOL)
David_Noble

Two Hour Honeymoon

Post by David_Noble »

Bill

Is it possible to repost "Two Hour Honeymoon". The link had expired when I realised it was posted. Or can somebody email it to me at -

dnoble@ozemail.com.au

It will be greatly appreciated.

Dave