bacharach and brian wilson

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

bacharach and brian wilson

Post by Steve Schenck »

In today's Washington Post, and interesting article about Brian Wilson mentioned Burt as one of his foremost influences. The text said that Wilson was deeply influenced by "the proto-rock bump of Little Richard and Chuck Berry, the melancholy chords of Burt Bacharach, and the expansive production sound of Phil Spector." On a side panel, they list Burt along with the Beatles and a few others as primary influences. Good to see Burt getting his due! Steve
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Brian Wilson also said that God's voice would be Dionne Warwick singing "Here I Am". Brian feels the same about Burt's musical genius as all of us here do, too. How could he not?
blueonblue

DIONNE AND BURT........

Post by blueonblue »

.....................enjoy !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8S1w7FRlGw

"blue"
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Now if only Burt and Brian would see fit to release the other songs from their collaboration that produced the wonderful "What Love Can Do". I believe, at the time, Burt mentioned co-writing three songs with Brian; I don't know if any of the others were recorded, or just written. But wouldn't it be nice to hear them! :-)
BachtoBacharach

Brian Wilson

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Brian Wilson also said that "Are You There (With Another Girl) was a direct influence on the "Pet Sounds" album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuL-moAUF0M
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Brian once told me (back in the early 70's) that his Bacharach favorite was
Here I Am. so this jibes with the other poster who said this.

Steveo
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Glad to have you back, steveo! Where ya Been?!?
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Dear Jerry,
Hi! and thanks for asking....just out in outer space lately...how are your musicals coming along?

Best,
Steveo
Last edited by steveo_1965 on Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Schenck

welcome back, steve_o!

Post by Steve Schenck »

Yes, Steve, it is good to have you back. I always appreciate your insightful comments and your inside knowledge of many things "bacharachian!" Your first-hand hearing of Brian Wilson saying that about "Here I Am" is a case in point. It has always been one of my favorites, too... Just today, someone gave me as a gift the album "What the World Needs Now - Burt Bacharach Classics," the one with the picture of a VERY young Burt.The album begins with one of my very favorite Burt tunes, "Something Big." It's the cut from one of Burt's mid-70s albums, not the one with the original singers from the film, the one included on the Rhino 3-disc compilation. I had long ago lost the vinyl album, and am especially happy to have, once again, this version of the song, with Burt himself singing. Have a blessed holiday season, Steve.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Hey, Steve (#'s 1&2!)---

The DVD for SEVEN MEN FROM NOW is going great guns! Right now in the editing stage. Have been in touch with reps for both Burt Bacharach(Sue Main, who's been mentioned a couple of times on this listserve) & Jimmy Webb, both of whom have expressed interest in the project. I'll repost my original letter from last year about the show. Several of you(especially you, Steveo!) had wonderfully kind encouragement to offer...it was---and is---greatly appreciated. The NEW CENTURY TV network, who is producing my work, is also hosting the live webcast of the brand new AMERICAN ACTOR show, this Tuesday, Dec. 11th at 8:00 pm EST. It's a sort of actor version of AMERICAN IDOL, hosted by Mike Shoeman, who is the producer of my show---try & catch it!

Would love to say, again, how much this listserve means to so many of us who frequent it. I was really touch by the letter of the sweet lady from Ireland who wrote in about her love for Mr. B and his music. To so many of us, this music, is one of the last outposts of civility & beauty. Don't mean to gush, but, I just needed to throw that in!
Again, great to see your posts again, Steveo and I'llput up my original postings!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Dear Jerry,

Thanks for the great post, and the info on your projects...
Wishing you the "best" and keep us posted of their progress!

Steveo
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Dear MR. Schenck,

Thanks for your kind post, and I have to say "ditto"..(thank you for all the
expertise and knowledge you bring on Burt's music.)YOur opinions are always refreshing.

Happy Holidays to You, Jerry, and all of our people here. : )

Steveo
Steve Schenck

Steve_O - out this way?

Post by Steve Schenck »

Dear steve,

Do you ever get out to the DC area? If so, I would love to hook up with you and just chat about music, especially about Burt and his accomplishments. If you are ever in the area, please let me know. Steve
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Dear Steve S.
I have not been able to go to your area of the U.S. yet,
but plan on doing some things with my "career" in the
future, and if I am ever able to get to the D.C. area, I will certainly look you up!
Thanks for the kind invite!
Best,
Steveo