4 CD box-set of new versions of BB songs

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms

4 CD box-set of new versions of BB songs

Post by pljms »

Ever despaired that you'd never hear another version of the likes of 'Here Where There Is Love', 'The Wine is Young', 'Forever my Love', 'Mexican Divorce', 'To Wait for Love', 'Long after Tonight is all Over', 'My Little Red Book', 'Are You There', 'Dream Sweet Dreamer', 'Whoever You are, I Love You', 'Odds and Ends', 'The World is a Circle', 'Making Love', 'Tears at the Birthday Party' and 'Toledo', to name just 15? Well they, along with 45 more familiar Bacharach songs, are part of a newly released 4 CD box-set called 'Simply the Songs of Burt Bacharach', which features British, or British based, session singers and musicians who, in my opinion, do a very commendable job throughout. Some of the girl singers, like Georgie Smit, Vicki Calver and Joanna Eden, have divine voices and know how to invest a song with real emotion and are more than capable of doing justice to the material. Most of the versions stick to the template set by the original and/or hit recording, but occasionally they stray well away, like in the case of 'Arthur's Theme' whose arrangement is totally different to the very 80s sounding hit version and consequently sounds much more like a Bacharach song, flugal horn and all. It's great to have such an extensive and varied collection of Bacharach's best songs ('One less Bell to Answer' and 'On My Own' are the only notable hits absent) and at £8 ($16) it's very good value too.
Paul
nymusicalsguy

Re: 4 CD box-set of new versions of BB songs

Post by nymusicalsguy »

I just discovered this set last week, and while I haven't listened all the way through yet, I second these comments unequivocally! And at a bargain price (I paid 7 GBP for the set, or around 14 bucks in US dollars), this is a must-buy for any Bacharach fans. Despite being on a budget label, the compilers are clearly true Bacharach aficionados. (This is reflected in the solid liner notes, too.)
pljms

Post by pljms »

One of the vocalists I forgot to mention before is Carla Jones and her rendition of 'The Wine is Young' is one of the highlights of the set. She also does a lovely job on 'Dream Sweet Dreamer'. Mention should also be made of Saskia who, vocally at least, bares a remarkable resemblance to the Brazilian singer/jazz pianist Eliane Elias. Her versions of 'The Look of Love', 'Trains and Boats and Planes' and 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' are wonderfully breathy and alluring. Out of the guys, the most impressive is Maurice Cannon who gives soulful interpretations of 'Please Stay', 'A House is not a Home', 'Any Day Now', 'Let the Music Play' and 'Mexican Divorce'.
Paul
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

I just received a copy of this 4 CD set and wasn't sure what to expect because of the many unfamiliar names of the artists. Boy, what a great tribute this is to Burt Bacharach and Hal David. What a joy to hear versions of some less familiar Bacharach gems: "Toledo", "Forever My Love", "The Wine is Young", "Tears at the Birthday Party", "Dream Sweet Dreamer" and "Please Stay." Like previously stated, the artists seem British and my hats off to Chris Ingham for producing and arranging all 60 songs (even if the arrangements closely adhere to the originals). I can't think of another tribute album that comes close to just the vast amount of material that one person was responsible for.
This truly is a wonderful tribute that explores the artistry that is Burt Bacharach and Hal David.
(The track by track annotation by Chris Ingham also makes for great reading.)