Burt Bacharach Play List Princeton NJ June 7

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Laura

Burt Bacharach Play List Princeton NJ June 7

Post by Laura »

I attended the concert on June 7 in Princeton NJ. Took the train up from Baltimore. I was in the 1st row center. As soon as I sat down, the lady next to me asked, “Are you ‘Bonkers’?” No, I’m not ‘bonkersforburt’, but I did get to meet her the next night in Bethesda, MD. And I did see Vincent Cole and his wife and another couple Jeanne and Tyler. And I met ‘Joan NYC’ seated next to me. My ticket included my name in the program book and a black tie dessert and dancing event after the program. I didn’t buy the $1,000 ticket that included “meet and greet Burt”. The dessert and dancing event was outdoors under a tent. But I didn’t stay long, because it was so hot and Burt wasn’t there anyway!

Well, enough rambling - this was the order of the program in Princeton:

What the World Needs Now Is Love

Medley:
Don’t Make Me Over
Walk On By
This Guy’s In Love With You
I Say A Little Prayer For You
Trains & Boats & Planes
Wishin’ & Hopin’
Always Something There To Remind Me

Medley:
One Less Bell To Answer
I’ll Never Fall In Love Again
Only Love Can Break A Heart
Do You Know the Way To San Jose

Solo by Josie James: Anyone Who Had A Heart
Solo by Donna Taylor: Are You Falling Out Of Love (written with Jerry Leiber, recorded by Aretha Franklin)
Solo by John Pagano: God Give Me Strength (written with Elvis Costello)

First four hit songs:
Magic Moments
The Story of My Life
The Blob (written for the movie “The Blob” starring Steve McQueen in his first role)
Tower Of Strength

From the CD “At This Time”:
In Our Time (instrumental)
Who Are These People

Solo by Donna Taylor: Close to You

Movie Medley:
The Look of Love (sung by Burt)
Arthur’s Theme
What’s New Pussycat
April Fools
Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head (sung by Burt)
Liberty Valance
Making Love
Wives & Lovers (sung by Burt)
Alfie (sung by Burt)
A House Is Not A Home (sung by Burt)

Solo by Josie James: Who Will Speak For Love (written with Tim Rice)

That’s What Friends Are For

Encore:
Solo by John Pagano: Any Day Now
What the World Needs Now Is Love

Second encore:
Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head (audience sing along)

Laura
Joan NYC

Re: Burt Bacharach Play List Princeton NJ June 7

Post by Joan NYC »

It's been about 10 years now that I've been attending Burt concerts whenever I can, and this time, I decided to just immerse myself in the moment and the show. I didn't take notes, or bring along anything for Burt to sign. Just soaked in the pleasure of the music. As Laura said , we had front row center seats, directly in front of Burt. My husband said if our seats were any closer, we'd be on the piano bench. It was so wonderful to actually make eye contact with Burt and the singers as they performed. It really felt like they appreciated how much we enjoyed their music.

Burt was in such a great mood that night, and he certainly doesn't behave like any 80 year old that I know. He was very up, with some giggling here and there. Very endearing. After all these years of performing the same songs (mostly) and some of the same patter, he still is so enthusiastic and moved by the music he plays, that it always seems like the first time he's performed it. He is not phoning it in! Ditto for the band and Donna, John and Josie.

At the first end of the show, he came to the edge of the stage and shook my hand, as well as Laura's and a few others. The audience, of course, was on it's feet, clamoring for more!

One image I will always remember was Burt slowly walking off stage to the wings. We could see him backstage from our vantage point. He really is the epitome of cool. Never has to try. He just is!

He came back and did an encore, again, to a cheering and standing audience. He shook more hands and waited as some people ran down the aisle to catch him before he left the stage again. Another encore, more cheering, hand shaking, and then it was over. Wow. What a great show!

After the show, Vincent and his wife and friends came down to the stage and joined us, and we chatted up the singers, as well as Rob, David Joyce and Eliza. She is so nice and commented on how much fun the show was that night. Vincent asked them all about the tour schedules and Brazil and the UK. I'm sure he'll fill us all in on what he learned.

It was an unbearably hot night. People looked like they were melting in their tuxedos, and Burt had to do a meet and greet with the contributors who had paid a lot of money for their benefit tickets. It was clear that seeing Burt after the show was going to be a problem. Laura, Vincent and his gang, and my husband and I skulked around the outside of the building, first one side, then another, for quite some time, trying to find the stage door where we hoped to catch Burt as he left. We finally decided that it was not meant to be that night, so we gave up. Vincent and his crew left, and Laura and I hit the dessert tent (just in case.)

Even though we didn't get to chat with Burt after the show, it was still one amazing night!
Laura

Post by Laura »

Hi ‘Joan NYC’,

I enjoyed meeting you and your husband Saturday in Princeton along with the other Burt Bacharach fans. As Vincent says, they are the nicest people you could meet.

Thank you for expressing so eloquently the wonderful evening we had sitting that close to Burt and the singers. And thanks for going with me to the dessert tent even though we didn't get to see Burt there.

Are you going to the Utica NY show on Oct 5? I already have my show ticket, airline ticket, and hotel reservation. Hope to see you there. Look for me in the front orchestra section!

Laura
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Star Date: Saturday, June 7, 2008

Place: “McCarter Theatre (Princeton New Jersey)”

Time: 8:00 P.M.

Super Nova: Mr. Burt Bacharach

Prelude

Seven months (October 2007) have elapsed, since my last Burt Bacharach Concert. All I can say it never gets old or mundane. Laura & Joan summed up the show really well. Hey, they took me off the hook!

Cheryl and I met my 2 good Burt buddies, Jeanne & her husband Tyler in Princeton for dinner before the show.

Mr. 4 Scores

Well, Burt maybe 80 years old, but you would never believe it! Burt looked very fit and still has a lot of energy. Hey, that day in New Jersey it was very hot and you needed every bit of strength! I will touch on personal aspect of the concert and the people around me.

Burt mentioned that it was his very 1st time being in Princeton. Well it was mine too. A very nice & up scale town, not counting all the smart people who have attend the Ivy League School there. Burt made mention during the program, that he could not get into Princeton. But very few of us can! But in the next sentence, Burt indicated that the only College that would accept him was McGill University in Montréal Canada. As Burt said on a very few occasions, he was not a very good student. This brought some comments from the audience. I found Burt’s remarks to be very humbling!

I am glad that Burt has put back the 1st 4 hits of his career. This includes the Blob. The audiences just love what Dennis Wilson does with his finger in his cheek & makes that popping sound! Burt told the audience, that was Steve McQueen’s 1st movie role and he survived the flick. Then in the next breath, Burt indicated, that his career survived also!

Donna, Josie & John as always, do an outstanding vocal performance. Burt’s 7 piece band members are also on the same level!

Epilogue

Burt ends the concert by getting everyone involved in singing, “Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head!” After this song was completed, all in the audience stood up and gave Burt a standing ovation!

I met a very nice person name Luiz Bassani & his wife. They came up from Brazil to see their 1st Burt Concert! I could tell that he really enjoyed himself! Luiz gave me his email address, so we can stay in touch.

Jeanne, Tyler, Cheryl and I made our way through the crowd to reach the stage. We were in the $100.00 seats, not the seats that cost 10 times as much. I don’t know how Laura & Joan got 1st row?

I greeted both Laura and Joan after the show. It’s very special to see old Burt friends, year after year @ these concerts! I believe Laura is on some type of mission to see the most Burt Concerts. I can’t keep up with her. I will go broke (lol)! I believe I have been @ 4 concerts with Joan over 10 years. It was nice to meet Joan’s husband for the 1st time.

Spoke with Josie, John & Donna. Donna Taylor gave me a 4 page brochure when Burt was touring in Japan this year. “An Evening with Burt Bacharach and The Tokyo Newcity Orchestra.” Donna had Burt signed it for me! Well another something to go into my archives! The only problem with the brochure is that it’s in Japanese, without American Subtitles (lol)!

Just want to say how nice Burt Fans are. Joan offered to give Cheryl & me her tickets to the dessert & dancing party! This was a special event after the concert. We declined and were ready to head back home, before we melted in the heat. I need to get my rest for the trek to Maryland on Sunday, for the next Burt installment!

Take care;

Vincent
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Hey Vincent!

Once again a "BIG THANK YOU"...........One of these days - a DVD of a North America Bacharach Concert will be released and - YOU SHOULD DO THE INTRO!.......... Looking forward to seeing Burt perform with the San Diego Symphony Orchestra next month! .......... Dionne opens the Symphony's Summer Pops series tomorrow evening! ...... We'll be there!
Laura

Post by Laura »

Hi Ron,

I just got my ticket in the mail this week for the San Diego show. I will be in the “Champagne Section” row A in the front, Table 110. And you’ll see me in front of the singers after the show trying to get autographs in my program book. Looking forward to the outdoor concert. My in-laws live in the San Diego area and I stay with them when I fly in from Baltimore for the show.

I would travel anywhere to Burt and Dionne Warwick perform together. Looking forward to hearing your review of Dionne’s show with the San Diego Symphony.

Laura
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Ron;

Thanks for the kudos!

Ron, I have a day job and better stick with it (lol)!

I won't have the Maryland Report until next week. I am going out of town for 5 days. :(

Looking forward to your report on Dionne :!:

Take care mon ami.

Vincent