Gladys Knight's 'Seconds' on YouTube

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms

Gladys Knight's 'Seconds' on YouTube

Post by pljms »

Posted today. It's good, of course, and Bacharach arranged it but Gladys Knight's pitching isn't all that it could be and her performance also lacks the intensity of Joshie Armstead's reading of the song on the Futures album. I also prefer BB's arrangement on the Futures' version too which to me is one of his most brilliant.

Paul
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Gladys Knight's 'Seconds' on YouTube

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Thank you so much for posting this! I absolutely LOVE this song. It's PURE Burt, too. Only Burt could have composed it. (I wonder how long before the "suits" will force that recording off of youtube? I'm still in shock over the debacle with dibotis.)
Sara D

Re: Gladys Knight's 'Seconds' on YouTube

Post by Sara D »

A truly a great song and , yes, one that is uniquely Bacharach and it amazes me that it hasn't been covered outside the two recordings arranged and produced by the man himself. I used to have the Gladys Knight version on a long lost LP and hearing it again after a gap of over 30 years I was pleasantly surprised, although it still pales when compared to the version on Futures featuring Joshie Armstead. It would be great to have that posted on YouTube as well.