Make it Easy on Yourself

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Hank

Make it Easy on Yourself

Post by Hank »

Apologies for copying the theme of my previous post but.....

What is your favorite version of Make it Easy on Yourself ?

For me, The Walker Brothers -
cipus

Re: Make it Easy on Yourself

Post by cipus »

Dear Hank, i prefere the original version of Burt, because his interpretation is fully respected the sense of the fabulous words of Hal David.
Ciao.
Claudio
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

For me it's Dionne Warwick's 1970 live recording at the Lincoln Center (a slower and more emotional interpretation than her original recording included on her very first LP - "Presenting Dionne Warwick"). This live version was included on one of her last Scepter LP's "Very Dionne" (original and expanded version released by Rhino Records). Another great live version is included in a hit records medley on "Hot, Live and Otherwise" on the Arista label.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

My 2 favorites are by Dionne and Burt on the Kraft Music
special "Another Evening with Burt Bacharach(1970 or '71)
and Burts own Version on A&M When that orchestra comes in..it really is emotional..."you'd better believe it, baby!"
lol
Steveo

P.S. THe live version by Dionne in 1970 is nice as well...with that opening piano chord....
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I'm going to have to go with Jerry Butler's version. I say this because his was the first version I ever heard and so I associate the song with him. Of course, Dionne's version (which I heard later on in life) is fantastic, too. But the great Jerry Butler's version was already hard-wired into my system and hard-wired into the memories which, as you all know, become associated with the songs we hear. Not too long ago, Jerry Butler was on that PBS show where they had a lot of the stars of that era on singing their hits. And Jerry Butler was on and sang "Make It Easy On Yourself". I can't tell you how great he and the orchestra were and how the song showed itself to be the work of art that it is. The whole thing gave me goosebumps that night.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I should have figured that I'd be lucky enough to find Jerry Butler's appearance (the one I was talking about above) on youtube! Here it is! And notice how the audience spontaneously breaks into applause right in the middle of the song. Burt's music can have that effect on a person! Then add in the great Jerry Butler, the great orchestration and Hal David's lyric, and you have pure magic! Enjoy!

Now, on the link below, you can hear Jerry Butler's original version. And please notice how Burt orchestrated songs in those days. The orchestration was unqiuely his own. Is that Gary Chester on the brushes? Whoever it is, it's brilliantly done -- along with everything else in this version.

And, on the link below, you can year The Walker Brothers' version -- from 1965! Personal preference time: I like the the drumming much better in the version above. The drumming in this Walker Brothers' version is, for my taste, just standard and nothing to write home about. I find that a great drummer can make a huge difference in a song. In all of Dionne's recordings, I was always impressed with the drummer. I have to believe that Burt paid great attention to the drums and knew how important that instrument is. But, again, this is all personal taste. I also loved the drumming in the early Motown songs. If I recall correctly, Berry Gordy always (or almost always) used the same drummer -- just as Burt used Gary Chester so much. And bottom line: "Make It Easy on Yourself" is simply one of the greatest songs ever written!

steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I used to tell people Make It Easy was my favorite song.....I don't know if it is today...it might be supplanted by "This Guy's In Love With YOu"....(da daa...da daa)
MIEOY is a great song...but you wouldnt know it from Dionne's original cut(a demo?)on one of her early albums.It was pleasant but not very dramatic...well, the song turns out to lend itself to a very dramatic treatment, and there are a lot of versions to choose from.
Steveo
mato

Post by mato »

I have to go with Burt's version, it's my favorite song ever, not only by Burt but in general. The arrangement of the song is the best I've ever heard. I have more than 20 interpretations by different artists but his is by far the best.
acshore

Post by acshore »

I feel the duet between Dionne and B.J. Thomas is amazing! Apparently, it was supposed to be on "Very Dionne" but Scepter decided to include her live version instead. It wouldn't ranked in the Top10 for sure.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

This is a really difficult song to pin down...so many subtleties, if you really listen(as with so much of the BB-HD catalogue), that are only picked up over many listens. as much as I love Dionne's version, there is really something so primal and, very nearly desperate about Scott Walker's interpretation. It's kind of amazing that he was so young at the time; sounds as if he possesses all the wisdom of the ages...

Namaste,

Jerry
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I hate to keep brining up tv versions of this song, but on one of Burt's old specials,
Vikki Carr gives a heartfelt spine chilling performance of this tune...she really felt it...
It is interrupted by a visual effect of 2 Vikki Carrs, a second one cross fading into the 1st, but still...her performance is top notch!
Steveo