Missed hits?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

acshore

Missed hits?

Post by acshore »

Out of these four songs, which do you think could have been potential Top10 hits for Dionne:

Window Wishing
Don't Go Breaking My Heart
In Between the Heartaches
Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets
Hank

Re: Missed hits?

Post by Hank »

In Between the Heartaches - a stone cold Burt/Hal classic.
P.S. I really like trintje's version
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

acshore:

The 4 songs you've listed are among scores of songs that had the potential to be hit singles. Like so many others who participate in this forum - most of my favorite BB/HD/DW recordings were never top 10 hits or even top 40 records. Broad appeal is the key to decisions made as to which songs were released as potential hit singles and similar decisions were made relative to radio airplay. Many of their "best recordings" were simply too sophisticated and complex to warrant release as singles and selection for airplay. They require serious listening to be fully appreciated!
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Ron;

I could not express your thought any better in regards;

"best recordings were simply too sophisticated and complex to warrant release as singles and selection for airplay."

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

My favorite of the bunch is Window Wishing...although Im not sure of its hit potential....and as you all say...some of his best are the "b" sides
IMHO as well.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

This is an extremely hard choice for me to make. And to answer the question as posed, we can't simply answer with our favorite of the four. We have to answer with the one song that we feel "had the potential to be a Top 10 hit for Dionne". If I pick a favorite, that song might not coincide with a song that would be a Top 10 hit. So many of my favorites were never Top 10 hits. "Walk Little Dolly", for example, was never a hit and it's one of my favorites, and not too many people even know the song.

Of these 4 songs, I've narrowed it down to "In Between the Heartaches" and "Window Wishing". And, of those two, I would have to pick "In Between the Heartaches" because the words and music haunt you long after it's over and I think the desire to hear it again remains very, very strong. So what better reason to purchase the song and drive it to the Top 10? Also, Dionne's voice on that song was unparalleled. It was light and airy, and then became so dynamic and forceful. The whole thing was a tour-de-force. I've always been amazed that that song never broke out. "Come In Ogni Ora" is another brilliant and haunting song of Burt's that should, when translated into English, become a breakout hit for the same reasons.