Pacific Coast Highway music

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

rmplatts

Pacific Coast Highway music

Post by rmplatts »

Hello all,

Haven't posted here for ages, but am seeking some musical recommendations: The type of thing I'm looking for is instrumental music along the lines of Burt's "Pacific Coast Highway" and "Monterey Peninsula" - music that really captures the mood of driving Highway 101 down the coast of Oregon or California. Herb Alpert's "Route 101" is another example that really captures it for me, one or two things by Jeff Lorber perhaps, but I'm leery of straying too far into "smooth jazz" territory...

Any thoughts or suggestions?
nowmedical

Re: Pacific Coast Highway music

Post by nowmedical »

How about "Sexy" by MFSB? It's a great instrumental, ideal for driving along somewhere hot with the roof off.

Actually it's quite hard to cruise on any nice freeways here in west London - the North Circular doesn't lend itself to many great tunes, but hey I can dream.
dwp425

Post by dwp425 »

Try Kim Pensyl - "Feel Your Love"
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

This is "smooth jazz territory", but it may help:

steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

If I may suggest a real oldie....(1963)
"Theme from the Magic Fountain" by Steve Allen and his orchestra (dot records)
It is indeed a nice one to drive to along the coast highway.

Steveo
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

This is quite a good 'un......

"blue"
Hello to steveo !
rmplatts

Post by rmplatts »

Thanks, all - truly, deeply appreciated. I only knew TSOP by MFSB and never thought to try them - in fact, quite a few of their tunes fit the bill. Perfect stuff, as were the other suggestions. And the Mystery Movie Theme brought back memories - wasn't that the show where you tuned in and never knew whether you were going to get McMillan and Wife, McCleod, etc.? Ah, happy times...
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Yes Robin it was..The show opened with MAncini's wonderful orchestral tune featuring a galloping strings with a synthesizer lead...and an eeire visual backround. The figure of a man walking towards the screen with a flashlight against a moody orange colored sky..I love that opening...The Mystery Movie Theme was a very cool theme!

P.S. Hello to Blue!