Motown salutes Bacharach

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Pablo

Motown salutes Bacharach

Post by Pablo »

What do you think of this compilation?
grooverider

Re: Motown salutes Bacharach

Post by grooverider »

HI Pablo, Considering the talented artists on Motown I was a little disappointed with some of their versions: "Any Day Now" by Eddie Kendricks, "This Guy's In Love With You" by David Ruffin, "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" by the Four Tops. But, there are some gems to be found: "I Say A Little Prayer" by Martha & the the Vandellas", "The Look of Love" by Gladys Knight & the Pips, "This Empty Place" by Stephanie Mills. There are some strong, powerful voices here and sometimes it seems like they push their range, trying to hit those incredibly diverse notes! Undeniably, there are some great voices here.
I've always wondered what this cd woud have sounded like if Burt Bacharach had produced and arranged it? Wow, just the thought of the Funk Brothers being guided by Burt Bacharach...!
Dionnefan

Post by Dionnefan »

I had heard that one of the labels vying for Dionne's services after the Scepter era came to an end was Motown. I wonder what Dionne would have been like on that label? Maybe she would have ended up working with Stevie and Marvin? Imagine Dionne getting some of Stevie's classic 70's songs. I mean check out Youtube for her amazing performance of "All in Love is Fair". I suppose this would have never happened in reality as there was only room for one head diva at that label---Diana. I am pretty sure Diana would have vetoed Berry Gordy if he seriously thought about bringing Dionne on board.

I guess anything would have been better than what happened to Dionne at Warner Bros. To just waste a voice of a lifetime in its prime like Warners did to Dionne's was a crime! It's like WB felt they were signing Burt and Hal at the same time and then just didn't care when only Dionne stayed on. I guess if I could go back in time I would make Lost Horizon never happen and we might have gotten another decade of Bacharach/David/Warwick magic.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

With few exceptions these "Salute Projects" have a tendency to DILUTE rather than SALUTE! ............ a GOOD "cover" of some artist's hit single recording is one thing - an entire album full of covers rarely resonates with me!
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Dionne Warwick did indeed work with Stevie Wonder on "The Lady In Red" soundtrack (in 1984?). She duets with Stevie on "Weakness" and "It's You" and is supported by Wonderlove, Stevie's primo musicians on those songs. "It's You" has always been a favorite of mine, I wish they had collaborated more!
Dionnefan, thanks for the great info that Motown was interested in Ms. Warwick, I didn't know that.
Although Motown did not specifically create this tribute to Burt Bacharach, instead gathering the many covers that had already been previously recorded from their stable of artists, I wonder how many Motown fans who maybe had not been more than casually aware of Bacharach, David and/or Warwick decided to search out their music?
Of course we'll never really know for sure, but it would be wonderful if some Motown fans became more interested in Burt Bacharach, Hal David and/or Dionne Warwick because of "Motown Salutes Bacharach".
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Dionne's 2nd Warner Brothers Album released in 1973 entitled "Just Being Myself" was produced and written by that famous trio most closely associated with Motown recording artists "Holland-Dozier-Holland" Also - it is my understanding that Dionne was originally set to do "Endless Love" with Lionel Richie; however, it was reported that Diana Ross used her influence with Motown to become Lionel's duet partner. Dionne did record a later version of the song with Tom Jones. .......... Although the material on "Just Being Myself represented a significant departure from what Dionne had been known for - I have always liked that album (now remastered and available on CD) - a must have for any Dionne fan! ...... Also - Dionne reportedly recorded a number of songs with Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson while under contract with Warner Brothers which were never released!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

ron hertel wrote:Dionne's 2nd Warner Brothers Album released in 1973 entitled "Just Being Myself" was produced and written by that famous trio most closely associated with Motown recording artists "Holland-Dozier-Holland" Also - it is my understanding that Dionne was originally set to do "Endless Love" with Lionel Richie; however, it was reported that Diana Ross used her influence with Motown to become Lionel's duet partner. Dionne did record a later version of the song with Tom Jones. .......... Although the material on "Just Being Myself represented a significant departure from what Dionne had been known for - I have always liked that album (now remastered and available on CD) - a must have for any Dionne fan! ...... Also - Dionne reportedly recorded a number of songs with Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson while under contract with Warner Brothers which were never released!
You beat me to the punch. I absolutely loved the "Just Bein' Myself" album. The H-D-H/Funk Brothers sound was pure genius and Dionne couldn't have found anyone better after Burt and Hal. I don't know why that relationship didn't continue. I know that, around that time, H-D-H had sued Berry Gordy for royalties. Gordy countersued and it dragged on for years and years. H-D-H had 25 number 1 hits songs! Has any other songwriting team come even close to that record? Be that as it may, I surely wish that Dionne and H-D-H had had many more years recording together!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Here's a track from "Just Being Myself".....complete with Bacharach-style horns....

"blue"
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Thank you all.

I generally agree with you; I envisage Dionne more in 70s Motown (with songs by Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson or Ashford/Simpson, maybe) than in the 60s with HDH, as early Motown was more teenage oriented)...and,yes, she would have some problems with Diana (although it seems, in real life they got on well, as Dionne was never seen as a threat for the very insecure Diana).

As for her period in Warner, it's strange, because the 'Dionne' record is very very good, although maybe it is not very commercial. And her album with HDH... I think it's more than decent, it's a good record - 'I always get caught in the rain' is v. Bacharach sounding.

Yes, the "Motown salutes Bacharach" record has its ups and downs, but in general you can tell it's a record made of previous LP fillers from those Motown artists.

PS. I have watched that Youtube clip singing 'All in love in fair'... see what Dionne could do with a good song... fantastic.