Jackie DeShannon: A Sterling Recording

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bruce Bernard Williams

Jackie DeShannon: A Sterling Recording

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Just finished listening to Jackie's newest CD entitled "When You Walk In The Room" and it is a knock-out! She sounds better than ever! Each song is like an encore. Her voice sounds exactly like it did 45 years ago and she looks exactly like she looked back in 1965. The overall sound of this collection is that of quiet, laid-back intensity. With these stripped-down versions, the lyrics take on a new depth that reminds me of two of my favorite folk stars: the late Phil Ochs and the late Laura Nyro. I can only hope to hear more from Jackie as this outing has a mere TT: 36:51. The Maestro-written "What The World Needs Now Is Love" is simply beautiful, along with that modulation midway through that she handles so effortlessly like she did in the original. This is a "must-have" recording if ever there was one! Long live the CD!
steveo_1965

Re: Jackie DeShannon: A Sterling Recording

Post by steveo_1965 »

Bruce,
Let me understand this: She re-recorded the original arrangement of What The World Needs NOw?
There are reasons fo this, if so....mostly that Imperial/UA has the rights to the olr recordings, and this would give Jackie more freedom to distribute, and also profit better from a recording than under her "old " contract...
For me, it would be a kick to hear this..
Best,
Steveo
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Hi Steveo,
Yes, this is a re-recording along with 9 others. There's only one "new" composition featured on this collection. I am a big fan of updated "re-works" by the original artists. Some of my favorite ones are: "Hello, It's Me" from Todd Rundgren's "With A Twist" CD; "Anyone Who Had A Heart" and "In Between The Heartaches" from Dionne's Victor Import "Dionne Sings Dionne II"; "Lowdown" (jazzy, bluesey version) from Boz Scaggs' "Fade To Light"; The re-workings of Carly Simon's popular hits collection which includes a piano-filled version of "You're So Vain"; and the up-dated versions of the late, great Mary Wells' hits (My Guy, etc.) which were re-recorded shortly before her untimely death at age 49 for an independent company amongst many others. I don't know the legal nuts and bolts of these particular recordings but would like to delve deeper into knowledge about copyrights, royalties, and the like.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Jackie has been terribly under-rated, but another re-tread of "What the World Needs Now" is not what the world or anyone in it needs now. How about a nice, contemporary version of this?
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

"Windows and Doors", a gorgeous melody and thoughtful lyrics, classic Jackie De Shannon:

steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

After listening to some samples of this album, I noticed it has a unique concept..she's going "bare boned" just one guitar or so....no orchestal arrangments or group sound...
Her voice is still great!