little heard song, on TV yesterday

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

little heard song, on TV yesterday

Post by Steve Schenck »

Hi all. I know this has been posted before, but I caught "Send Me No Flowers Today" on TCM yesterday, and I really love this song. It's light, but it has that trademark Burt style. Doris does a great job with it.

ron hertel

Re: little heard song, on TV yesterday

Post by ron hertel »

Steve:

You're absolutely right - unmistakably Burt! ........ Light and bouncy and for me - somewhat reminiscent of "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" - a great little song (still can not figure out why that gets so little airplay during the Christmas season - virtually none!)

Ron
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Ron, we agree again ...twice! Why do we have to hear wall-to-wall "Felice Navidad" and "Holly Jolly Christmas" every year while this little gem gathers dust?
As for "Send Me No Flowers", I bet Jackie deShannon could have done a nice job (and maybe even had a minor hit) with it.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Blair: .... Let's go for "3 times"! ......... Jackie DeShannon certainly could have handled "Send Me No Flowers" very well. .... She along with Dionne were - in my opinion - the only two female vocalists who could skillfully interpret Burt's music back in the day. One notable exception - Dusty Springfield's "The Look Of Love"

On the subject of "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" - why didn't Dionne take advantage of the opportunity to include that in her only Christmas album: 2004's - "My Favorite Time of the Year"? .... She could have sung that beautifully despite her diminished vocal capabilities.