songs in the production style of other famous songwriters

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

songs in the production style of other famous songwriters

Post by geoff85 »

One of my favorite things when listening to music is when I spot similarities that are usually unique to a certain songwriter being used by another songwriter. I often wonder if coincidentally musicians will unconciously duplicate ideas that have already been done or whether they are paying homage. We have a thread like this for Burt I just thought there should be a general thread for all the other great songwriters who may have also influenced others as well.

I ran into this Vinnie Monte song called " I dont have the heart to tell her" and it sounds so much like a Teddy Randanzzo song made for Little Anthony and the Imperials. Anyone else agree? Dont leave me hanging here guys.
ron hertel

Re: songs in the production style of other famous songwriter

Post by ron hertel »

You can cut the rope geoff85 ..... won't leave you hanging! ..... I pick up the similarities as well! ....... even more remarkable is Vinnie Monte doing all he can to imitate Gene Pitney. ....... He might do well performing in a "Tribute To Gene Pitney" show.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

ron hertel wrote:You can cut the rope geoff85 ..... won't leave you hanging! ..... I pick up the similarities as well! ....... even more remarkable is Vinnie Monte doing all he can to imitate Gene Pitney. ....... He might do well performing in a "Tribute To Gene Pitney" show.

That bell at 0:13 and 0:53 is a Randanzzo trademark. Also at 1"35 the pleadings of no no no at the crescendo can be heard in hurts so bad.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Gene Pitney discusses Spector and Bacharach......

"blue"
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

"blue"

Thanks for posting that link. ... Reminds me once again that I was a Bacharach admirer before I ever knew he existed. ... My favorite Pitney recordings all turned out to be BB songs with that common thread I could never define. ... That same common thread resurfaced when Warwick began her recording career. I finally put 2 and 2 together and discovered BB was the force behind all this great music!

ron
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Ron, you're very welcome.
Most of my favorite Pitney songs are by Bacharach & David also.
Including this little gem....

"blue"
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

This thread was suppose to be about other songwriters. I guess i cant fault you guys for not being able to resist making reference to the great one.
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

You're right, Geoff85. Thanks for telling me!

Regards,
Djalma Jr
Last edited by Djalma Junior on Fri May 09, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Djalma Junior wrote:Dear,

I do not know who Stephen Schwartz and John Michael Tebelak were inspired when composed "Day by Day" (from the movie "Godspell"), but there is much similarity with some songs composed by Burt Bacharach:

Regards,
Djalma Jr

Djalma,

You should prob delete this post and add to another great song that sounds like Bacharach. This is actually a thread about composers other than Bacharach(i.e. Carole King, Laura Nyro, Phil Spector,etc)
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

geoff85 wrote:

Djalma,

You should prob delete this post and add to another great song that sounds like Bacharach. This is actually a thread about composers other than Bacharach(i.e. Carole King, Laura Nyro, Phil Spector,etc)
Geoff85,

You're right. Thanks for telling me!

I've posted on the topic "Another great song that sounds like Bacharach"

Best regards,
Djalma Jr