Gerry Goffin...R.I.P.

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

Gerry Goffin...R.I.P.

Post by blueonblue »

I've just heard the very sad news that Gerry Goffin has just died....he was 75.
He was right up there with the great Hal David in my estimation.
Thank you for all those wonderful lyrics Gerry.....they will live on forever.

"blue"
grooverider

Re: Gerry Goffin...R.I.P.

Post by grooverider »

A huge talent and with the Broadway musical, "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical" bringing interest anew in the many classics he gave us, here's Billy Joel singing "Hey Girl":

An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Gerry Goffin was my kind of lyricist. Absolutely wonderful and, as blue says, up there with the great Hal David. Gerry wrote great songs that had great titles, such as "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" So sad that he's gone now.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

The main thing that struck, the past few days, listening to the sheer diversity of tunes he wrote, with Carole King and others was how he managed to write 'in character'. Almost in the way a screenwriter or playwright can differentiate from one character to another...writing in different voices. Particularly of note was how convincingly he could speak in a woman's voice-a rare thing in a male writer and something he very much shared with Hal David.

His songs, like those of Bacharach/David, Weil/Mann, The Bergmans, Randy Newman, Jimmy Webb, Brian Wilson, Stevie Wonder and about a dozen others of that era are 'The Standards' from 1960 onward, they took up where Porter/Berlin/Gershwin left off and their songs will be heard, I'm certain hundreds of years from now.

Deepest condolences to his wife, children and to Carole King, as well.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

This beautiful song was played at Dusty Springfield's funeral in 1999.
Words and music by Gerry Goffin and Carole King.

"You could just hear three notes and you knew it was Dusty"
(Burt Bacharach)

"blue"