"With a Smile"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

"With a Smile"

Post by blueonblue »

Does anyone know anything about this singer ?
I think the song's from the early nineties.....but I may be wrong ?? :?
Sounds very similar to "Walking Tall".......totally "Bacharach" !

Enjoy,
"blue"
pljms

Re: "With a Smile"

Post by pljms »

Did anyone else catch the harmonic sequence used again in 'Tears at the Birthday Party'?
Paul
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

Hey, Blue - Thanks so much for posting this! I'd never heard of the song before, nor of the singer, but loved them both! Would like to hear more of him, and would like to hear him do more of Burt's music. What a treat!
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

This is great! I haven`t heard anything this good from Burt since, well, at least the early `90s.
I`m afraid I`ve never warmed to the more recent material. None of it has what this has, whatever that is. It sounds as if it could have been on an old Scepter album for Dionne; really that fresh and inventive. I miss this kind of stuff badly.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi folks,
Some more info about this song, apparently it was written in 1994 ( sounds more like late
sixties, early seventies ) by Burt and John Bettis and, for some unknown reason was only
released in Japan ?
I still don't know who the heck Jene Miller is though ??? :?

"blue"
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Lovely song and I dont blame BB for plagiarizing himself! Yes, pljms, the refrain, "Wait & see and then in a little while", in 'With a Smile' has the same chord sequence and virtually the same melody used a few years later for the line, "Unwrapping presents that I should have sent", from 'Tears at the Birthday Party'. Here's Elvis Costello and BB performing the latter song on TV back in '98: