Help with the name of a song?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

Help with the name of a song?

Post by Steve Schenck »

Hey, there was a Dionne Warwick song on YouTube (before warner bros took them all down), a BB/HD song that I hadn't heard before. If I'm not mistaken, it began a little oddly, almost as thought instruments were trying to mimick the sound of rain falling. I can't remember the title, nor anything of the lyric, but I remember being drawn to it. It was from one of the 60s albums, I think. Am I crazy, or does anyone know what I'm referring to?
Blair N. Cummings

Re: Help with the name of a song?

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I`m pretty sure that you`re referring to "The Beginning of Loneliness", a gem to be sure from the Windows of the World album.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Yup, sounds like the "Beginning of Loneliness"...a muffled electric guitar starts it out, mimicking the sound of raindrops
drip drip drip drip....perhaps Vinnie Bell....

Steveo
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

It was Vincent Bell on that intro. IMHO The Beginning of Loneliness ranks right up there with the best Bacharach/David/Warwick ever did...it was an A side released in the late spring of 1967 and the B side of the single was Alfie. Upon release, Loneliness leapt up the chart and was receiving tremendous airplay but days after the release of the single, DJs began to flip to the B side after Warwick's televised appearance singing the tune Alfie on the Academy Awards to a worldwide audience and unprecedented public requests. Scepter Records quickly began to promote the B side Alfie as "the hit" and momentum continued for Alfie while quickly dying for Loneliness. Many don't know this but Alfie had already been an "album hit" for Dionne; i.e. DJs began to play the tune from the album "Here Where There is Love" long before the single was released...as early as January 1967, it began its airplay run in heavy rotation. The popularity of Alfie as an album cut propelled the LP to gain RIAA certification as a Gold seller. Alfie peaked at #15 on the Billboard Hot 100, #5 on the Rhythm and Blues Chart and #10 in Canada; the tune was a far bigger hit than the #15 Billboard peak would indicate...it had already become a signature tune for her based upon album airplay. The single Alfie was also important for both Burt and already big star Dionne in a different way...the single Alfie, coupled with Warwick's Oscar appearance televised to many millions the world over propelled both their careers into the stratosphere and that superstar status was cemented when Warwick had a run of three top 10 hits in a row a few months later...I Say A Little Prayer, Theme from Valley of the Dolls and Do You Know the Way to San Jose within a three month period (and three RIAA certified Gold albums in a row during the same time). Bacharach and Warwick were so closely tied in the public mind by that time that many assumed Theme from Valley of the Dolls was also composed by Burt. All that to say that those "fortunate" circumstances for Alfie killed The Beginning of Loneliness, peaking at # 79 ...it was likely headed for the Top 20 or better based upon airplay and performance after release but the momentum for Alfie could not be overcome. Alas, Loneliness is one of the most compelling Bacharach compositions (flaws and all) and a stunning Warwick performance which deserved a far better fate.
Last edited by BachtoBacharach on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Well said, Bach..given the songs structure and melody, it may not be the "keeper"
that Alfie is, but for sheer dynamics, it is truly amazing..Burt takes through all of these emotions at various levels of intensity, and its quite a ride!

Steveo
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

Thanks so much for the help, guys. I listened to Mark Anthony Lee's version, from his "Journey through Dionne's Discography," but not hearing that very distinctive introduction on the DIonne original, I didn't connect the two. Thanks, too, for all the background info on the song's journey - and stalling - in the heady days of 1967.
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

I really enjoyed reading the posts referring to "The Beginning Of Loneliness" as that too was one of my favorite BB/HD/DW songs. I feel that Hal's lyrics were especially expressive! My question is: Is there a way to obtain Marc Anthony Lee's "Journey through Dionne's Discography"? I got a chance to view several via this forum but would love having the complete CD if it exists.
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

From reading the comments attached to what's on YouTube, I'm under the impression that the CD is not yet out. These seem to be rehearsal takes that have been recorded and put up on YouTube to "generate a buzz" before the finished product gets out there. But I could be wrong; I, too, would get that CD. I like his interpretations so far and especially like his choices of material.
acshore

Post by acshore »

It's really a shame "The Beginning of Loneliness" didn't end up one of Dionne's better-known songs. As much as "Alfie" has become a part of her repertoire, "Loneliness" is one of the song you know is far from a filler track on an album. Since posting on here in mid-2010, I found that the song first charted March 11, 1967, the same day Pink Floyd released their first single. Warwick's song bubbled under at #125, continuing on the chart the following weeks, March 18, March 25, and ending April 1, at #79. It also charted #97 on March 18, and ended at #95 on March 25 on the Cashbox charts. It peaked #44 R&B.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Re: "The Beginning Of Loneliness" - I also was disappointed when this sophisticated great single was upstaged by the "B" side - the 40th or so interpretation (and arguably the best) of the BB/HD classic "Alfie". Sometimes both an "A" and "B' side are able to climb the charts and both remain counted among an an artist's greatest hits. ..... During that same year - 1967 - Dionne scored an "A' side "B" side chart winner with - "I Say A Little Prayer" and (Theme from) Valley of the Dolls" (each from a different album). ......... back then - DJ's had a huge influence on which songs became "HITS" and which albums subsequently became big sellers!

For those of you who have been around as long as I have ..... you may recall that the cover art was amended on later printed album covers of three Scepter albums following the chart success of 3 Dionne Warwick singles. An overprint "featuring ALFIE" appeared on the "Here Where There Is Love" album" ......... another: "I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER" appeared on "The Windows of The World" album ... and finally: "FEATURING THIS GIRL IS IN LOVE WITH YOU" appeared on the "Promises Promises" album. .......... Florence Greenberg was an astute business woman!