Annie Lennox & Burt and Aretha Franklin

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

grooverider

Annie Lennox & Burt and Aretha Franklin

Post by grooverider »

The current issue of "Rolling Stone" magazine, titled "The Playlist Issue" asks 50 artists to choose their personal top 10 favorite music. Annie Lennox has half of her top 10 devoted to Burt Bacharach: (her ranking) #1 - "I Say A Little Prayer" by Aretha Franklin, #3 - "Close To You" by the Carpenters, #4 - "Do You Know The Way To San Jose" by Dionne Warwick, #9 - "Anyone Who Had A Heart" by Cilla Black and #10 - "(There's) Always Something There To Remind Me" by Sandie Shaw. The rest of Ms. Lennox's top 10 included Motown ("Dancing in the Street" by Martha & the Vandellas), "Downtown" by Petula Clark and "I Close My Eyes and Count to Ten" by Dusty Springfield.
Quoted from Ms. Lennox: "As a singer, your voice expresses your soul. These are the songs that helped me find my own voice." "Dionne Warwick's sound is like coffee with cream: smooth, but with an edge."

Ms. Franklin, who was #1 on Annie Lennox's list, was disclosed to have pancreatic cancer today. Thoughts and prayers for her good health to Ms. Franklin.
ron hertel

Re: Annie Lennox & Burt and Aretha Franklin

Post by ron hertel »

Re: Aretha Franklin's Health:
Although the prognosis for this type of cancer is not good - some are treated successfully. ...... Hopefully Aretha will be among that number! ....... She has an incredible discography and has recorded a number of Bacharach tunes that are among my favorites including: "Ever Changing Times", "Someone Else's Eyes" and "Falling Out Of Love".
grooverider

Re: Annie Lennox & Burt and Aretha Franklin

Post by grooverider »

The relport I read was quoted from The National Enquirer that the cancer was pancreatic. Not everyone believes what the NE reports but I believe they were the first to report that Patrick Swayze and Michael Landon were also dealing pancreatic cancer. Whatever Ms. Franklin is dealing with, we wish for her complete recovery.
I do agree, "Ever Changing Times" is a wonderful collaboration with Michael McDonald and yes, her discography is timeless!