other artists we all seem to like

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

other artists we all seem to like

Post by nowmedical »

You know how us Bacarachians also seem to agree on other artists - for example Swing Out Sister, the Carpenters, and everything from Philadelphia?

So I may be miles off with this one, but does anyone else appreciate Pat Metheny? (He once played on-stage with Jobim, so I know I'm not the only one here!)
Blair N. Cummings

Re: other artists we all seem to like

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

If by "artists" you mean interpreters (musicians/singers) we could list names until our fingers bled (if only for a single performance).
Successful acolytes(Burt has no serious competitors) are Jim Webb and Roger Nichols.
Every once in a while someone pulls a rabbit out of his hat (Was it Lalo Schiffrin who wrote the beautiful Bacharach-esque "People Alone"?)
In general, though, we`re in a post-melodic era. It remains to be seen(heard?) if that quality re-asserts itself.
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

I too am a huge fan of Pat Matheney. One of my favorites is "Offramp". He is truly innovative, especially his timing. I also like his recording/engineering techniques which for the most part is in the digital domain (Spar Code DDD). IMHO digitally recorded material has a higher degree of brilliance, sharpness, crispness, and clarity. His recording "Day Trip" sounds digitally recorded however there's no info on the CD indicating that it was like his previous ones. I think his latest offering "Orchestrian" is simply dazzling! I do wish that his future recordings will be digitally recorded, utilizing 24-bit technology like so many of his previous recordings. I think his co-worker Lyle Mays is super talented as well! I have a solo CD of his (digitally recorded) that just blows me away! I'll never get enough of their music just like I'll never, EVER, get enough of the Maestro's!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Always loved this track with the almost hypnotic bossa nova beat....a kind of Brazilian
"Pacific Coast Highway"..........

"blue"