Interview with Burt

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Rio

Interview with Burt

Post by Rio »

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011 ... l-journey/

I learned from it.

I just have a real problem with the repeated references to his age. In the first paragraph this simply renders nonsensical several potentially very laudable statements. In Brazil, apparently in Italy, and probably everywhere else, people talk (to him, no less!) as if he wasn't supposed to be working anymore. Yet, he might not be far from the top of his career. IMHO he is as close to the hight he's achieved as anyone has ever been since the 60s. Even if he sucked now or had always sucked, why would someone say anything to that effect?!

Sure, it may be just this lack of sensibility that would keep some from appreciating how great Burt is and from following his career as closely as I think they should, especially if they would interview him.

Burt, You're The Top. They Can't That Away From you, and they certainly can't take that away from Me. Couldn't love you more, buddy.
BachtoBacharach

Re: Interview with Burt

Post by BachtoBacharach »

I have no problem with the references to his age...he is 83! I found the article respectful if not downright reverential and didn't have any problems with it. Burt is at a stage in his life and career when he has the luxury of doing exactly what he wants to do, commercial success be damned...he no longer has to chase that commercial "radio" hit due to his legendary status. Burt gets a tremendous amount of respect for his accomplishments, not his age...he doesn't seem to be hung up on his age at all so why should we?
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Hey, imagine how Tonio K. must feel upon learning that he was a cult figure "in the 1870s..."
By the way, the piece states that Burt has completed two(!) albums in the past year. Have I missed something here?
Rio

Post by Rio »

BacktoBacharach,

Thanks for sharing your favorable opinion of the article.

"In the first paragraph this simply renders nonsensical several potentially very laudable statements. In Brazil, apparently in Italy, and probably everywhere else, people talk (to him, no less!) as if he wasn't supposed to be working anymore."

I didn't mean to imply that the interviewer/article was disrespectful at all. I apologize if I wasn't as clear as I should.

I said the first papargraph doesn't make sense when you insert those references to his age. The nonsensical nature of the statements cannot be denied, unless one thinks that it makes sense to compare Burt to other composers who are exactly his age and could possibly challenge him in achievement. The rest was about people who talk to him as if he was suposed to have retired and seem impressed that he is working at all, apparently totoally oblivious to the fact that his current output is simply majestic.

I think it is nice to think of the long period during which Burt has been so prolific, and it is ok to mention his age. What *I* don't like is the idea of my dear Burt being approached by people who want to talk about his age and express surprise that he is doing anything at all, rather than that he is doing what he is doing at the level he is doing it for so long.
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

I understand completely where you are coming from in a world where youth is exalted and age is denigrated. I for one really do think it's amazing that Burt is still compassionate all these years later about his work and think that it's normal for younger folks to express amazement that anyone over 40 contributes anything. I am with you my friend but I am willing to bet that Burt doesn't care in the slightest what folks think about his age; he just keeps workng.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Quite simply...........Burt is "ageless" !!!

"blue"